New Hunter needs Advice

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
DeanoZ

RE: New Hunter needs Advice

Postby DeanoZ » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:41 am

He hurt his shoulder and cant draw his bow back.

In that case if you and your buddy are about the same size why not see if you can borrow his bow?

cjkrw

Postby cjkrw » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:46 am

He wont lend it out, lol. Its his baby ;) 

But its ok though, because every once in a while you run into one of those rare people in this world who still has that drive to help out a complete stranger. Ive come across a wonderful opportunity and expect to be back in the woods by Sunday morning!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:30 pm

Thats good news!  I'm guessing a fellow DDH member was able to help you out...what a great group we have here!

RNC

Postby RNC » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:37 pm

Cjkrw sounds like your learning alot so far and I must compliment you on your restraint in your shot selection, well done. If you have an amry/navy surpluss sotre anywhere near you that might be a good place to get some different camo at a fair price. Also look for the Sportsman guide on the web they can have some good prices on clothes. Good luck and keep getting out to the woods.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:20 pm

cjkrw, didn't realize you were looking for cammies, but I have an extra set of my Marine Cammies (the older style before we went to MARPAT) I'm 5'8" and they are a size large regular.  Give me a shipping address and I'll gladly ship them out to you.  It's not Mossy Oak or Realtree, but it will definately do the job.

cjkrw

Postby cjkrw » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:34 pm

A great group indeed!

THE SAGA CONTINUES...

So Im back. New bow in hand. Ready to get back in the woods, snuggle up to a tree and begin a new wave of hunting. This time however I have a new attribute... CONFIDENCE. Not only did I get a new bow, but I was trained on how to properly shoot it. A bow built for ME. Built to only where I can shoot it properly, then taught how to shoot it... I felt like a pro after a few shots.

I woke up this morning at about 6am ready to go out and shoot my bow at my target and get some practice in before I go hunt this afternoon and evening. I get dressed all warm and everything and step outside. 30 mile an hour winds...

Lol, I still shot a few times and came back in to check the weather. Same winds and rain until Thursday. So I spent the day with the wife and kids and formulated a "non-hunting" plan. Talked to my buddy and we decided we were going to do some door knocking this week and do some scouting. Plus, it will give me some more target time to get better at shooting a compound.

Im really not trying to turn this thread into my own personal journal or anything, it just feels good to share my first experiences with a group of people who have been there. I chat with my buddy about it, but most of the time its just all about HIM. Not sure if any of you have friends like that. Lol. I received an IMMENSE amount of information and advice this past weekend that Im still trying to absorb it all :)

AnyHOO... Im EXTREMELY grateful for kind people and hope to be able to return the favor one day. If not personally, at least to help out another in need. Oh and just a little side note... I am also EXTREMELY grateful for sausage and cheese biscuits ;)

cjkrw

Postby cjkrw » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:13 pm

So the wind died down and I made my first trip out to hunt in over a week.

Now let me start out by telling you about the hike to my spot...

I got a brilliant idea to actually toss out some corn, and set a salt lick at my spot. Now my spot is a little under a mile hike and sucks every time I go out. But is well worth it. But TONIGHT I was packing a 50 pound salt lick with me. I seriously thought I was going to die. But I made it. Tossed the corn and placed the salt lick. Sat down in my spot got settled and waited.

About 5 minutes after I got settled, it started sleeting. That wasnt a big deal though. While sitting there, I remembered I needed to practice getting into position to take a shot with a compound compared to just lifting a crossbow at knee level. I raise the bow and see where it hits branches and start clipping stuff out of the way. Once I get it all cleaned up, I look through my sights to see what my shot will look like. I couldnt even see my reticles! I was like ok...what the heck. I check again. Nope. They seemed awfully close to the limb. I take my hand to see if my sights move... they slid freely all the way out. Lol. My sights werent tightened down!

So, needless to say, my hunt ended early. Ill spend some more time with the bow tomorrow and double check everything then try and go back out tomorrow night.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:43 am

ORIGINAL: cjkrw

I got a brilliant idea to actually toss out some corn, and set a salt lick at my spot. Now my spot is a little under a mile hike and sucks every time I go out. But is well worth it. But TONIGHT I was packing a 50 pound salt lick with me. I seriously thought I was going to die. But I made it. Tossed the corn and placed the salt lick. Sat down in my spot got settled and waited.

About 5 minutes after I got settled, it started sleeting. That wasnt a big deal though. While sitting there, I remembered I needed to practice getting into position to take a shot with a compound compared to just lifting a crossbow at knee level. I raise the bow and see where it hits branches and start clipping stuff out of the way. Once I get it all cleaned up, I look through my sights to see what my shot will look like. I couldnt even see my reticles! I was like ok...what the heck. I check again. Nope. They seemed awfully close to the limb. I take my hand to see if my sights move... they slid freely all the way out. Lol. My sights werent tightened down!

So, needless to say, my hunt ended early. Ill spend some more time with the bow tomorrow and double check everything then try and go back out tomorrow night.

As you're learning, Murphy's law is rampant in archery. Stay focused and determined. My first archery kill came through pure unwillingness to give up. And that after 2 seasons of bowhunting excitement but no venison.
It was the last day of archery before gun season and sneaking through some vines and multi-flora in the dark, I had ripped off the primitive flipper rest on my old Bear wheel bow.

I could have packed it in with no regrets as I had hunted an enormous amount during that bow season, being between jobs with an awesome wife who knows me better than I know me. I had seen lots of deer and and had some unbelievable encounters that I just couldn't capitilize on at my experience level. But, for some reason I decided to run down to the bow shop and have the rest replaced. It was a simple flipper and pretty cheap.

That night I finally put it all togther and shot a button who wandered in to my over-calling. Hunt hard. Be stubborn.

cjkrw

Postby cjkrw » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:55 pm

Absolutely GREAT post! Thanks!

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:06 pm

ORIGINAL: cjkrw

A couple things that might help.

Once I have everything where I want it, I put a dab of lock tight on just about every thing that may vibrate or work it's way loose.  

Another thing to keep in mind, is the way your bow sounds when your practicing.  If something starts to sound funny or not normal may be a rattle or vibration when your shooting, you probably have something coming loose.  Hold your bow with one hand and tap it with the other until you  track down the source.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting