New Hunter needs Advice

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
cjkrw

RE: New Hunter needs Advice

Postby cjkrw » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:07 pm

Silly question here, but Im a rookie...

Is it true that mechanicals such as the rage broadhead shoot just like a field point? I am just learning how to shoot a compound. After the bow was fitted, I took it home with field points. Before I left I was shooting dead accurate up to 30 yards. After I put regular broadheads on, I could NOT for the life of me hit the target. 3 hours my buddy and I spent trying to get it all lined up. There was no consistency in my shot. So we put the field tips back on, readjusted everything and within 15 minutes I was dead accurate again. He said I needed to shoot mechanicals. Thoughts?

cjkrw

Postby cjkrw » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:09 pm

Thanks OH!

Also, What is an acceptable time to wait for a deer before you move after shooting it?

AfterShock95

Postby AfterShock95 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:45 pm

I wait 20 min but that me and when I shot a deer I keep an eye on the way its running and try to listen to hear if it drops but if its raining I make sure the shot counts and if I don't feel comfortable with the shot I'll let the deer walk

RNC

Postby RNC » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:11 pm

How long you wait depends on where you hit it. If you know for sure a good solid double lung shot 20 to 30 minutes is a good rule of thumb. If you know you got a gut shot the longer you wait the better, I ussally wait 4 hours atleast. You dont want to push a gut shot deer because your not going to have much of a blood trail to follow. By letting them go the hope is they feel sick and bed down, as long as you let them be hopefully they will die in that bed. If your not sure where you hit the deer the general rule is "When in doubt back out". Give the deer time to bed down and die. If you hit them well they wont go far anyhow but again if you go chasing a poor hit you decrease your chances of recovering the deer. 

cjkrw

Postby cjkrw » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:32 am

Thanks for the advice RNC.

Well, I answered my own question today... I went and bought the Rage 3's. Was worried because noone had replied about whether they shoot like field tips or not, but they do. Again, Im accurate up to 30 yards. Going to try and get out tomorrow morning.

By the way... I start my new job Monday!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:13 pm

Congrats on the job cjkrw...Tough times right now!  Good luck with your hunting!

burnnurse1

Postby burnnurse1 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:30 am

CJKRW, keep up the posts man. Can't wait 'till you gig one. Get excited monitoring your progress. Just hang in there bud, it's going to happen for ya! If deer hunting was easy, there wouldn't be any duck hunters!!!!! LOL...........Man, I'm going to get it for that one!!

cjkrw

Postby cjkrw » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:03 pm

Rofl. Im sure you will :)

I havent had a chance to get out in quite a while. Setting up for new job and all. Also I took the kids all weekend so I could have next weekend to go on a hunting trip with my bud. Were gonna head down to southern Ohio to the hottest hunting area in Ohio. Spend 3 days hunting. Im hoping that will be my time.

Im really anxious to get back out. Im gonna go out for an hour tomorrow night. I get off work at 4 and with time change it doesnt give me much daylight, but I got the itch. Need to get out there :)

Im so glad you have still been monitoring my progress. Havent heard from you in a while :) Ive been trying to pass a few words of wisdom on to thule in that other thread. Its crazy, just a few weeks ago you were all telling me the same things Im telling him. It feels good to be able to pass it along.

Hopefully Ill have good news soon!

ARROWSMITH

Postby ARROWSMITH » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:45 pm

We're watching and waiting for you to get that first one.  Keep us posted.

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:10 pm

ORIGINAL: cjkrw

Silly question here, but Im a rookie...

Is it true that mechanicals such as the rage broadhead shoot just like a field point? I am just learning how to shoot a compound. After the bow was fitted, I took it home with field points. Before I left I was shooting dead accurate up to 30 yards. After I put regular broadheads on, I could NOT for the life of me hit the target.

Make sure the broadheads and field tips you are using are the same weight.  Also, make sure you are using the same arrows, cut the same length, and what not (practice vs hunting arrows).  I practice with the arrows I shoot in the field.

I was at a shop around my home this past week, and a guy was talking about how he shot at 4 deer and missed them all.  He was frustrated.  I could see in his bow case, he had carbon arrows for his practice arrows.  Turns out, he was using aluminum arrows for his actual hunting arrows.  He had different weight broadheads than field tips.  It was a big mess, especially for the person in the bow shop helping him.  Hopefully he got it all straightened out though.  I didn't stick around for it.

Good luck.

Edit:  Also, if you keep your shooting distance minimized, it will help with your accuracy.  Sure, it looks great to be able to put your arrow in the bullseye at 50 yards, might even be able to pick up a girlfriend that way, but it's going to cause you more headaches, even trying to keep your bow tuned in.  Keep your shooting distance short, and that keeps the list of issues you might come upon short as well.

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting