MyFirstHuntWasToday

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
thule

MyFirstHuntWasToday

Postby thule » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:17 am

Hey guys,
Any words of wisdom would be greatly appericated. Here is my story and I apologize in advance if its to long but I have nobody who would listen to anything that has to do with hunting. Its been years since the first signs of interest in deer hunthing and finally I was able to get out today. As the subjest reads I braved the woods and went out this morning, right at sunrise 6:50am EST. Boy, let me tell ya I had no clue as to what I was doing. No scouting has been done and currently operating without a tree stand (Its a financial thing) So it was all still hunting. Scraps, rubs, trails, food and water where the things I looked for but only found water and had no idea what to do from there. I rattled grunted used the bleat but saw nothing. To top things off, and I hate to admit it after one of my arrows came undone from the qiuver I went back to look for it, got disoriented and eventually lost. LOL Well I did manage to get out before sunset via compass and cell phone. What do you guys think? Should I go back alone? Does anyone want to come with me? I'll share my tags with ya.. Northeast MA

69Viking

RE: MyFirstHuntWasToday

Postby 69Viking » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:35 am

Wish I could join you but I'm in Florida!

I know the season has already started but the first thing I would do is scout some during daylight hours and find some deer trails and deer sign.  Then I would find somewhere close to those trails that would serve as a good ground blind keeping in mind you always want the wind in your favor.  Be very careful as you scout to leave as little sign of your presence as possible.  Use some scent killer products to make yourself as scent free as possible.  

One way you could scout without going into the woods would be to buy the book Mapping Trophy Bucks by Brad Herndon, it's $16.49 at www.amazon.com.  Once you learn what that has to teach, you could use topo maps to find the right spot for you to be hunting.  If you can take this approach I would try it first.

I know it's not the best advice but I know you'll get more from others on this site.  Check around some of the other forums for information too.  Good luck and check back in to let us know how you're doing.

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:53 am

Try on this website going to Forum-The Hunt-Best Practices and checking out some of the discussions in there.  That area has a lot of good information.

cjkrw

Postby cjkrw » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:27 am

First and foremost, Welcome to the forums thule. You will soon find out that this is one big family here. The words of wisdom a lot of the members will give you will go a long way.

Just like you, I too am a rookie hunter. Ive been on the forums since a week after my first hunt. I was lost and lonely as well :) I made a thread just like yours and soon had obtained enough information and advice to be completely confident when I head into the woods. I still have alot to learn, but have enough knowledge to get out there and have a small clue of what Im doing lol.

A few things about your post. An inexpensive, halfway successful way to not get lost... Tie bright ribbons on twigs along your way. Use your compass to somewhat keep a line of direction. I used this method the first time I went to the public property I hunt on. Never scouted it or been there before, but was able to navigate that way pretty easily. Also I spent a day just walking around searching for signs and seeing where I kicked deer up.

I wouldnt sweat the tree stand situation too badly. I cant afford a stand either. Ive learned though, that hunting from the ground may be the best way for a beginner anyway. Ive learned how to judge distances better, roam around a bit more, (Which helps me learn the terrain vs sticking to one spot) and also, even though I havent killed my first deer yet, the excitement level is INTENSE from the ground. Seeing a deer 30 yards from you and realizing you cant move a muscle but yet you have to find SOME way to get that bow up, is one of the most INCREDIBLE experiences Ive ever had. Being in a stand is probably close to the same, but I couldnt imagine it would be as hard as far as movement. But thats JMHO.

Last thing here... Dont be afraid to ask questions! I too dont really have anyone I can talk to about all this, except everyone here. I can only help so much since Im learning as well, but I am more than happy to pass on what I learn. There are many levels of experience in these forums. USE THEM!

Good luck in the weeks to come, be patient, and enjoy every second :)

thule

Postby thule » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:12 pm

Thank you, 69vicking and cjkrw for welcoming me. Vicking, I will be looking to purchase that book soon. Thank you. I'll also take your advise and do some scouting on Sunday during the daylight hours. I did make sure to check the wind forecast before I left home and I always seemed to have the wind in my face. Also sprayed myself down with scent killer and took some doe urine and sprayed my boots and put some cotton filled with urine on my lace's. Forgot to mention that before all this I scrubbed down in the shower with baking soda. I think I had the scent thing under control until I got lost in the woods. Boy was that scary, everything looked the same.

cjkrw: I love the idea of bright ribbons on tigs along my way. I do have masonary twine I will use. I have to be honest thou my confidance took a hit when I got lost, up until then I was actually enjoying myself even thou I could see no deer. Just using the calls and my binoculars felt great!

IE: The terrian. Its about 1000 acres Wildlife Management that can be very unforgiving. I will use what I have learned on this site to get around my problem is find deer and being quite. Walking around makes so much noise breaking twigs and things. How do I stay quite and yet move yardage in order to see deer? Also, there seems to be trails everywhere but Im not sure that they are wildlife trails. This may sound stupid but here it is, I know what I should be looking for but I cant seem to pick it out in the woods. One more thing, should a newbie like me go in at night like everyone else does?

cjkrw

Postby cjkrw » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:29 pm

Well, when your prowling through the woods you really want to move at a snails pace. One foot in front of the other. Take your time, be aware of everything.

When Im scouting, I usually do it after my morning hunt. Ill wait till about 10 and then start moving. I move slow, but not as slow as I do when Im moving into my spot. I walk at a steady pace. I look for rubs on trees, acorn trees, deer poop, bedding areas, and hoof marks. When I spot hoof marks, I look at the spread of the track (wide split usually means buck, close together = doe) then I look at the direction the tracks go and find a path. When you spot a path, if its wore out pretty good I figure its well traveled and will mark it with ribbon or a pile of sticks.

I really dont worry too much about noise while scouting. Alot of times Ill kick up a deer from bedding. After it scampers off, Ill check the area and look at the bed. Look for a food source. If all looks good, Ill look for a good spot to set up to hunt. Make a clean area for sitting, mark it for an easy return, then go on my way scouting.

Keep one thing in mind. If your hunting 1000 acres, and your scouting deep in the woods... remember your gonna have to drag a deer ALL the way back. Lol. I try to stick somewhere close to a walking path, or an easy exit. My spot is about a half mile from where I park, but I have an easy drag along a path.

Dont be afraid to get out in the dark. Morning hunts you have to be in before sunrise, and evening hunts you normally stay out till about dark. So either way your looking at a walk in the dark. Take a flashlight and mark your route and youll be fine. Take your time and pay attention to landmarks. After some time youll know your way around like you own the place :)

cjkrw

Postby cjkrw » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:33 pm

Oh and by the way... the first time I scouted these woods I got lost. After 2 hours I found my way back. Long story short... I learned the woods quickly that day. Not always a bad thing to get yourself lost. Theres always a way out :)

thule

Postby thule » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:02 pm

Awesome feedback, thanks cjkrw! Today my entry point was from the north because the winds were coming in from the south and west. If I do going hunting tomorrow, which im really tired and sore from all the walking and lugging equipment I will enter from the south. Winds will be coming from the north and west. Long story short looks like another day of getting to know the other entry point (Possiable getting lost again) lol not this time thou im taking masonary twine to tie on twigs or branches.

Cjkrw do you use blinds? I carried in a blind (that didnt match the surroundings) and one of those stool hunting chairs and it was more of a pain to carry that useful. I think I can make due sitting on the floor. What do you use?

cjkrw

Postby cjkrw » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:02 am

I dont use a blind. Dont have the money :)  Havent really needed it though. My spot is right next to a large fallen tree. The way it fell left limbs that branch out over top of me and all around. I actually scoot down in under it.

Remember that you can always make your own blind. Take a pair of snips with you to snip twigs away from your sitting area and to trim shooting lanes. Use fallen limbs and branches to surround yourself. Once you set all that up, practice getting to your knees and drawing your bow. Make sure nothing makes noise or gets in your way.

A lot of people have told me to use a small chair to sit in. That way my smelly butt wont leave too much of a scent behind. It makes sense but I dont feel comfortable in a chair. My luck I would move to take a shot and fall out of the chair lol. So I just spray myself down real well. Deer keep coming to that spot so I must not be leaving too much of a scent :)

thule

Postby thule » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:51 am

Perfect! Didnt go hunting today and tomorrow state law doesnt allow hunting on sunday, however I do plan on going out tomorrow to do my scouting for next weekend. Thanks for your tips cjkrw still 3 weeks of bow hunting left I'll keep you posted..

Wanted to mention, I'm picking up a set of those rage 3 next week. Everyone seems to like them..

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting