MyFirstHuntWasToday

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
thule

RE: MyFirstHuntWasToday

Postby thule » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:41 am

Great points! The powerlines do have overgrown edges and cut timber can be seen all along the powerlines. The plan is to hunt these thickets before daylight and if I dont see anything maybe move along the powerlines but inside the woods to see what I can find. The bad news is the wait till the weekend. Work has me consumed Monday - Friday

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:09 am

Welcome Thule,

You've been given some great advice here by many experienced hunters.  I consider myself somewhat of a novice still and many here have helped.  As viking suggested mapping trophy bucks is a great book, here is also a link that another hunter here provided as a primer to the book.  http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/practical_bowhunter/topos/index.html

This will help you to identify terrain that deer are more likely to habitat/travel through.  Of course once you identify that area you need to scout it out and see if you can find sign.  Powerline cuts are great areas to setup stands just as Joel suggested...right along the edge of the woodline.  Try to find a low spot or saddle cutting across the powerline cut, this is likely the area the deer are crossing to conceal their movements, then set back in the treeline about 20-30 yrds from that spot...good chance you see deer.  Also as  burnnurse suggested the pine area you mentioned is likely a bedding area...they like the soft needles/mast as well as the shelter and concealment from the pine branches.  The area with hardwoods and acorns is likely the feeding area, and if there is a water source nearby you have now triangulated a spot to place a stand in.  Set up on the downwid side of the trail, and I would hold off on the calling for now as others suggested.  i would also hold off on the Doe urine on the boots for now as well..JMHO, but keep it simple for now, at least until you start seeing deer.

Where in NE Mass are you? I live in Jersey but I also hunt VT, and occasionally near the NH border, I have a buddy of mine in Chelmsford and occasionally I'll go out with him.  Hone your map reading skills and use of the compass and you should be fine getting in and out of the woods..an Etrex is great if you can get one.  there was a great thread on here by Woods Walker on still hunting..check it out it should give you a better idea of how to do it, but to give you perspective and as wood walker mentioned if your covering more than 200 yrds ina hunt, your still hunting too fast!  Good luck, just have a lot of patience and it will pay off...and keep asking questions the folks here are great and very knowledgable!!!

thule

Postby thule » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:06 am

DeanoZ

Thanks for the link, that will help me out alot. I currently live in Peabody MA and my hunting spot is about a 30min drive from my house. I'll definate sharpen my map reading skills. I'm loving it out there even thou I havent seen any deer yet. Just like others here I have the itch I want to be out there at every chance I can get before the season is over..

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting