MyFirstHuntWasToday

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
cjkrw

RE: MyFirstHuntWasToday

Postby cjkrw » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:55 am

Ya, I just got them yesterday. I couldnt shoot fixed broadheads at all. But my field points hit perfect. The rage's fly the same as my field points. Problem solved.

Plus, anything that creates an 1 1/2 inch hole has got to be good. More humane kills and better blood trail. Sounds like a winner in my book.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:26 am

all good pointers .try carrying a good hunting seat cushion most can be clipped to your belt or pack.they sell basic GPS units for under 100$ these days you can /should also  learn how to use a compass  its not hard.forget the stnad this year just walk around scouting and hunting at the same time.you'll get to know the area and determine if its worth hanging a stand anyway.I want to welcome ya to the site and to the hunting fraternity 
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

thule

Postby thule » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:10 pm

Joel,

Thanks for the feed back. I think I got the compass thing down. (I think) When I got lost I kept reading the compass and heading SOUTH becase that was the reading I took when I left the car. After thinking this over and over in my head, it turns out I went beyond where my car was and ending up 1 1/2 mile south of my car.

Ebay was where I purchased my Fred Bear bow and thats where Im thinking I'll look for a GPS unit. When I get the funds.. Trying to keep my job as we speak. Things are hard right now. Thank you for welcoming me to the site!

Cjkrw, I've been thinking! I have 2 deer and 1 doe tag and nobody to share my tags with in exchange for experiance. A hunting mentor would be nice. Has anyone taught you how to scout? You seem to be really good at it.. Like I said before I know what Im supose to look for but boy, when I get in there is like I draw a blank everything looks the same and I cant find shit! lol

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:23 pm

It sounds like you have a lot of patience, as well as the willingness to be open to advice and feedback, both great traits to begin hunting.

No shame in getting lost, we`ve all been there. My sense of direction is absolutely horrible, I get turned around in a little 10 acre woodlot.  Carry a compass and learn to always mark your route in. Great advice to mark trees on the way in with orange tape. Just try to remember to take it down on the way back out.

Even tough season`s started, it`s not too late to do a little scouting. Deer runs should be fairly obvious now, with the leaves and brush laying down a bit. Find deer runs, and walk them to figure out where they go....one direction should be to feed, one to bed. Set up closer to bedding areas in the morning to ambush them coming back from feed, and set up closer to feeding areas in the evening to ambushem them coming to dinner.

Main thing is, don`t hesitate to come back here to ask questions. There`s a wealth of knowledge here, and these guys are willing to share.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:50 pm

thule instead of ribbons you can also use spring type cloths pins that have been sprayed dayglo color for night you can add a strips of reflective tape.you can get it at an auto parts store.they attach/remove real easy weigh very little.becareful with trying to trade your tags it may be illegal ,it is in NY.try finding a local hunting club most are in need of new members.you may find some new freinds .go to the local section of the forum and make your appeal there you may get a better response as well.good luck out there oh yeah always carry a good flashlight and extra batteries.i like the small headlamps myself but whatever ya use make sure its durable
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

cjkrw

Postby cjkrw » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:31 am

Thule , I would love nothing more than to take you scouting a few times and teach you what to look for. I was taught very well and now see deer with every spot I pick. HOWEVER, I live in Ohio. Lol. If you ever make your way to this area let me know and Ill help you out. No need for sharing tags :)

burnnurse1

Postby burnnurse1 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:02 am

Thule, experience is going to be your greatest teacher. You might muff a few shots, spook a few deer, but hey, we've all done it and it's only bad if you didn't learn from it.

There's a great deal of knowledge to be gained from this forum and an overwhelming amount of info online and in bookstores. These guy's and gals on here will answer any questions you may have. The advice about trail marking with ribbon is great, but I would prob. suggest using a reflective tape so you can get out when it's dark.

As suggested before trails are a great place to start. If your hunting 1000 acres and are deep in the woods, chances are that if it looks like a game trail it prob. is. the leaves will be beat down pretty good, leaving no doubt. study the trail good for tracks, poop, even rubs and scrapes that might be off the trail a little. If you have a fence line crossing what appears to be a trail check the wire for deer hair. Sometimes a deers belly will graze the wire when they jump it, leaving behind white hair. I've even found white hairs on logs and trees that have fallen across a trail. This tells me that the trail is still being used frequently.

Play the wind and keep movement and noise to a minimum. When I hunt off the ground, I clear me a bare spot, free of any leaves or sticks, so deer don't hear me when I move.

Most of all, be resilient. It might take you a few outings, but the longer you do it the more proficient you will become, and your patience will be rewarded. Good luck and happy hunting!!!!

thule

Postby thule » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:18 pm

OK so I went out to day and did 2 hours of scouting. I entered in from the south because the wind was blowing from the north. Had the scent cover on, took a shower in baking soda and spary some doe urine on my boots. I came across some powerlines that run right across the woods. Continued on pass the power lines and back into the woods. I have found what seems to be game trails but because there are so many leaves on the ground I cant seem to find dropings or tracks. This area looks like a deer highway I mean trails everywhere but no signs of food or water. Pine trees suround this area but in the middle we have oak trees. My plan was to cut some shoot lanes and I decided to set up just above the traveling trails and maybe use my calls and see what comes in. To be honest thou it getting fustrating not seeing what Im suppose to be finding. O well. gotta stay postive and see what next weekend will bring.. I'll keep posting..

burnnurse1

Postby burnnurse1 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:59 pm

Thule, I don't know really what your experience is with calling, but you can "over call" and actually spook deer. If you've got a large pine thicket, with oaks in the middle that have a good mast on the ground, then you probably ought to try setting up near the oaks. Since your post is the only thing I have to base my opinion on, I would venture to say that the deer trails are more than likely heading from the pines into the oaks, correct? If so, the deer are probably bedding in these thickets and moving into these oak flats to feed.

You said you do not have a tree stand, but another thing that would stand out to me, personally, would be the high line. These are good because at an elevated position you can see for long distances and I guarantee you, you would see deer. Granted, this is coming from a rifle hunter. If your strictly bow hunting, then scratch that idea and head for the oaks.

Don't get frustrated. sometimes it takes time to put all the pieces together. Deer always have the advantage when you jump into their backyard. be persistant and it will pay off. Won't kill a thing at home on the couch![:D]

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:19 pm

if those powerlines have overgrown edges and cut timber stacked along the edges you may find does bedding in there as well as those pine thickets.

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting