alignment of arrow to string

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
fireflyparamedic

alignment of arrow to string

Postby fireflyparamedic » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:54 am

What is the general concensus of getting an arrow aligned to the string and your sites? Watched Bowhunter TV on the Outdoor channel this past weekend and during a segment they talked about the "walk the line" method of getting your alignment. Has anyone tryed this? Looking for the best option out there. Gets expensive taking a bow to the shop to tweak things.
firefly

DeanoZ

RE: alignment of arrow to string

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:49 am

IMHO, and not knowing your experience level, taking it to a proshop to initially get your bow tuned and properly set-up is a worthwhile investment.  If they take a T-square or laser level too it and adjust your knocking point that should not be too $$$.  The other advantage to doing this is they can point out any other obvious issues that require tweaking.

fireflyparamedic

Postby fireflyparamedic » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:55 am

just a beginner. remember when the tech set up my bow he just put an arrow onto the string after being nocked but did not use a level or laser throughout the process. Don't know why but can only assume he was busy but he no longer works there, kind of fishy wouldn't ya say.
firefly

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:32 am

Yes...definately fishy and if he was "eyeballing" it that would be a sign for me to take my business elsewhere.  You'll see different methods, but back in the day when you had flipper rests with plungers, things were less complicated. Now with drop away rests and new sights its a little more complicated.

fireflyparamedic

Postby fireflyparamedic » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:42 am

DeanoZ,
I currently shoot a G5 Quest. These are my features: whisker bisket, mechanical release with string loop, 28" draw, 60#, tru-glo offset single pin pendolum, carbon arrows (easton axis). Now the other day I noticed that with an arrow nocked and in the it was seeming to be straight but the whisker bisket was slightly angled downward. I'm wondering if the tech offset the rest slightly because the nocking is off. Currently it is shooting ok but would love to be getting my close grouping after this season and practice. What are your thoughts?
firefly

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:52 am

The string should bisect the arrow down the center the entire length of the shaft. With a single cam you may need it to sit 1/16th inch to 1/8th inch to the left of the string(on a RH bow) to account for the string angle coming off the idler wheel.

fireflyparamedic

Postby fireflyparamedic » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:30 am

Highlander Archery,
But the actual rest seems to be slightly at a downward angle. Should that be normal.
firefly

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:33 am

Firefly, I don't use a whisker biscuit so I probably should not comment, but I'm going to guess its not treated any different.  I'm also no expert, hence I leave my fine tuning to the pros.  I believe Highlander either works at or owns a pro shop if I'm not mistaken, and his answer sounds pretty technical and makes sense to me.

fireflyparamedic

Postby fireflyparamedic » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:41 am

I think I will snap a few pics and upload them. Trust me any advice is good advice to me. This is only my 2nd year bowhunting, but I will say I am thinking it is safer to the aspect of not getting shot and the peace and quiet.

Goose

Postby Goose » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:46 pm

In a perfect world your arrow should line up with your bows center line. You can find your centerline by measuring and marking your limbs. To get it close you can hold the bow with your bottom limb on your knee, center the string on your top and bottom limb and your arrow should line up with your string. Again thats only getting it close. Paper tuning will help decide your final tuning. When I start out on my bow the center of the arrow is 11/16 of an inch away from the side of the riser. For nocking point if your shooting a release you can start out 1/4 of an anch above level with the rest. If your shooting a drop away rest make sure it is in the up position when doing this.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting