Safety harnesses

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
fireflyparamedic

Safety harnesses

Postby fireflyparamedic » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:07 am

Well looking for a some comments on safety harnesses. I noticed for the first time the other day using the provided harness that came with my tree stand this year. I know it is a less expensive model but would at least use it til I could afford one of the vest style harnesses. I noticed that I had to retighten the lower straps that go around your legs after getting up in the stand. Unforunately, I did notice I didn't run the tag line end of the strap back through the buckle so that with movement I made ie.. walking through the woods, motion of climbing with the stand, that the harness would be loose. What made me notice was that I could no longer feel the strap being snug around the inside of my leg. Has this happened to anyone with more experience.
Also does it really matter if a rope is used to secure us to the tree when we are at our desired height or the wide strap that came with the harness. Really like the look of the rope and think of the simplestity of it. I was thinking of using some 1/2 thick diameter rope I have from the fire department I work for. I would use a couple figure eight's on a bight and a carabeaner to attach to my harness. I looked on a tree stand website and noticed they sell this kind of rope system for $19.99. What are your thoughts fellow tree stand hunters.
fireflyparamedic

shadow

RE: Safety harnesses

Postby shadow » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:46 am

I posed a similar question here not to long ago and got my answers, here is the link, you may find it helpfull.

http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=2906

I also did not like the tree strap but prefer using the rope with the prussic hitch as I climb and descend from my stand. I feel for me its easier to manuver up and down the tree and obviuosly just as safe.

As far as your straps getting loose on the leg portion of your harness the same has happened to me, but running it back through the buckle as you described should take care of it. What happened to me recently with my vest harness was after being up in the tree for a few hours I noticed something hanging from under the seat of my stand, what happened was that at some point either while I was walking to the tree or while climbing, the seat belt style button of the buckle got unsnapped and the strap from my right leg came undone altogether. What I do now is before I start to climb and once I reach hunting height I recheck those buckles to be sure they didn't get unfastened.
Hope this helps.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:18 pm

I bought the Hunter Safety System about 3 years ago . It's a bit pricy but how much value do you put on your life !  I use the cinch strap that comes with it to secure the tether line to the tree .
The harness' that come with the stands are a pain to put on but they are better than nothing !

allthingshunting

Postby allthingshunting » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:27 pm

Hunters Safety System Pro Harness...it is basically a vest with a built in harness.  It is very easy to take no and off...not like most systems that have confusing straps that tangle and you are never quite sure if you have it on right.  This is easy.  Put on the vest and click two straps across your chest.  Two straps through your legs that click in like seatbelts.  Then on strap to the tree.  Very easy and convenient.

fireflyparamedic

Postby fireflyparamedic » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:47 am

I think I will be getting one of the vest style harnesses for next season.
firefly

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:59 am

something we do is put the harness on, dont tie the leg straps at all,till you get to your tree,then b4 climbing tighten the leg straps.they are supposed to be tight,so if a fall occurs they distribute the weight.If you fall u dont want your privates to get caught in those straps!i have had the privelige of hanging from a harness for 3minutes in a safety demonstration for OSHA.It didnt feel comfrotable at all,but remember its only made to prevent a fatal fall! you have to get yourself back to safety.always carry a cell-phone, a knife,and a whistle around your neck! safe hunting buddy--5buck[8D]

fireflyparamedic

Postby fireflyparamedic » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:40 am

thanks for the advice jonny5buck. Will have to come up with a check list before I do climb the tree. Sometimes my head is on other things instead of on the matters at hand.
firefly

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:27 am

I have the harness that came with my stand.  At first, it seemed like a confusing tangle of belts and buckles, but the more I used it, the easier it became until now-it's just second nature.  Eventually, I'll get the vest type, but I feel pretty confident in the harness for now.

Konk

Postby Konk » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:34 am

I use the Seat O Pants by Summit (I think it's by Summit) and I also fasten the leg straps before I climb. A saftey harness sure is an inexpensive insurance policy compared to the cost of all the bills associated from a serious fall. Buckle up

Konk
Member;
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association
Sticks N' Limbs Camo Prostaff
Carson-Optics Prostaff
www.bowhuntingstore.com

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:51 am

I also use the Hunter safety systems vest. It is the only way to fly (or actually, to avoid flying [;)] ) Inside the jacket, outside the jacket, extra pockets and you can put it on blindfolded. Get one. And then get a steel climbing rated caribiner for the end of the tether and you can leave the tree strap up in any stand you plan on coming back to. Then, next time up you just clip in. Save the tree straps from all your old harnesses or your buddies harnesses.

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting