Ethics of bowhunting in rain?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
deerdown

Ethics of bowhunting in rain?

Postby deerdown » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:15 am

I was pondering this thought and was curious how other bowhunters feel about this.  Let's face it, a mortally hit deer can sometimes go a fair distance before expiring and their is always the chance of a less than perfect hit making blood trailing even harder.  What if it's raining?  Do you still take the shot?  I am on the fence here.  Sometimes you can't pick your hunting days and just want to get in the woods.
It's a fine line between passion and obsession ... my wife reminds me of this each fall

gunther89

RE: Ethics of bowhunting in rain?

Postby gunther89 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:27 am

I've hunted in the rain before and I make sure that its gonna be a good shot.  I won't take a shot if its out there past 20 yards.  It's a hard decision because im a college student and I don't get many weekends to hunt and you want to make the most of it.  I guess its a judgement call if you think you can make the shot then take it, if you don't feel confortable with it then don't take it.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:37 am

This is a valid question, and one everyone should consider.

I`d never bow hunt in the rain intentionally, just because the blood trail is so important in bow hunting especially.

One hunt, after I had shot what turned out to be a very big button buck, as I was sitting in the stand, giving him time to lay down, the sky to the west grew black, and the thunder began to rumble. I was torn. I didn`t want to lose the blood trail, but more more concerned with pushing him and losing him anyway. I waited in the stand, and it began to rain. Washed the blood from my arrow, washed away any blood he had left behind. I looked for an hour, and found nothing. I called my nephew, and he came back later with me, and we were fortunate enough to finally find that pretty deer.

It wasn`t raining when I shot, and the weather seemed to come out of nowhere. I don`t ever want to deal with that feeling again.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:52 am

Last season my buddy hammered a big doe. I never saw so much blood.

We took up the trail an hour later and it was one of those deals where you expect to find her laying there any second in the dark. After easily following her meandering trail for an hour it finally dawned on us that she was still on her feet. And then it started to rain. And then we heard her get up. Under the glow of the flashlights we saw a big buck trying to breed her while the blood dripped out of her. And then they were gone. And then it rained some more. We figure somehow he left her a lung. He went out the next day for half a day and looked hard, but never found her. I can't see how she could have survived that hit from blood loss alone. 

I won't go out if it is raining hard and steady. I will stay out if it is drizzling and /or off and on. I will get right on the trail after a good looking shot if there is great danger of losing any sign I may already have.

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:02 am

some of my best hunting days have been in the rain
but ive never shot one in the rain
but i think it is the same as shooting near dark u just have to be more careful and decrease ur yardage of how fare u will shoot

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:27 am

When taking a shot I MAKE SURE its the best shot I can make.. The rest is out of my hands.. deer moves, ect.... If it's raining and Im out there still.. Im out there for a reason, and thats to hunt. Ill shoot a deer in the rain, But like gunther said, i want the deer in close range and I will only take a bolier room shot.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

hilltop

Postby hilltop » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:37 am

I have ask myself many times if i should bow hunt in the rain. To this point the answer has been the same. no way. There are to many variables that come into play. However,that is me.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:58 am

I used to pack it up if it started to rain but noticed as I drove away that the deer were coming out to the fields to feed . If it's a light rain , I will stay out even though I have never taken a shot at a deer in the rain . I have shot them with a gun in the rain .
I would not take a marginal shot at a deer in the rain with a bow .

deerdown

Postby deerdown » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:19 am

I'm really in agreeance with all of you.  It doesn't bother me to hunt in the rain and you just want to get out sometimes no matter what the weather.  It's really a judgement call and certainly good shot choices are key no matter what the weather, but especially in the rain.  I don't think rain alone will ever stop me from going out hunting but it might stop me from shooting.  I'll have to see when the time comes I guess.

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:05 am

Well, you have to go when you can go... a light rain and over cast usually makes for a great hunt, if it rains hard , just have less room for error, must make quality shoot.

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting