Ethics of bowhunting in rain?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
JOEL

RE: Ethics of bowhunting in rain?

Postby JOEL » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:52 pm

just wanted to throw this out there,there's more to finding your deer than just a blood trail[;)]foot prints,turned up leaves broken branches..etc.pleanty of deer shot on sunny dry days dont leave a blood trail for one reason or another(poor shot,fat/tallow pluging the wound etc)
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

deerbuster73

Postby deerbuster73 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:35 am

I hunted in the rain the other night. Ive always had good luck with deer activity in the rain. I passed up several doe and had a 5 point come in to about 10 yards quartering away. I decided to shoot and got a good shot on him however i didnt get a pass through because my arrow hit his opposite shoulder. It started pouring right after the shot. Wasnt nothing for a blood trail considering the rain and no exit wound. I just tracked his tracks where he kicked up some leaves. I found my arrow he must of pulled it out about 40 yards from where i hit him covered in blood. I found him piled up about 30 yards past that. Shot placement is everything when hunting in the rain. Although it does get nerve racking when it starts pouring after your shot. But that concludes my pennsylvania bow season cause you only get one tag. Im looking forward to NY opening on 10/18.

Eight_Oak_Acres

Postby Eight_Oak_Acres » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:56 am

Obviously everyone is going to have their own opinions on this...and I don't think there is any right or wrong answer. but here is what I do:

I will hunt in the rain....but I will only shoot if it is a light rain. (I'll be honest, I don't understand the comments that they make sure it is a really good shot...don't you always do that?...it's like professional sports figures who make it to the big game and say they "stepped up" their game...why wouldn't you play that way all the time?) Sorry....just my two cents...Anyway...If it starts pouring...depending on how long it looks like it will last, I will stay out there so that I am in the tree and ready when the rain lets up. Deer often come out to the fields right after a rain.

-Eric

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:21 am

in my recent reading of the book"whitetail advantage" an intersting point is raised. we all Know that a deer will wet its nose periodiclly because it helps them catch scent better. wet conditions in the woods may very well increase a whitetails ability to scent you.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:07 am

You are correct howhill, they can also smell better in humid weather.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting