shooting from treestand 1st time.

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
fireflyparamedic

shooting from treestand 1st time.

Postby fireflyparamedic » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:21 pm

Well I finally got my tree-stand couple weekends ago. I made the Summit Viper Ultra my choice. I have noticed that the paint does chip off easily like other people have posted but overall I'm really satisfied with it as it is my first stand. Finally shot out of it today at a friends house. I really like the different perspective it gives you, meaning the view. Can't wait to actually see my first deer from it this season. Now I noticed that with the target being approximatly 25 yards away and being about 20 ft (7+ yards up) in the that I had to set my bow up about 4 inches high to hit the target where I wanted to shoot the arrow. Now will this affect my shot if the deer jumps the string. Should I aim low instead. Or do you guys seem to think that the arrow will fly fast and the deer should get hit where I think it will. I could possibly see the deer having a better chance of jumping the string at a further distance away from me. I'm shooting a new Quest G5 @ 60 lbs with a ? carbon easton  axis 400 arrows with a whisker bisket. Feel free and give me some advice.

thanks
fireflyparamedic

schlupis

RE: shooting from treestand 1st time.

Postby schlupis » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:48 pm

You are going to need to adjust your shot from the treestand I dont change my sight pin like you stated unless I misread your post. I leave my pin where it is and always aim low because at this angle it gives you a little room for error.

I dont know how fast your bow is but mine is shooting 290 fps and from my treestand which is 25 to 30 feet up I aim at the bottom of the deers chest and that always puts the arrow right where it needs to be about 2 inches above point of aim which is heart and lungs.. even though bows are fast a alert deer can still jump or duck the arrow even a bow over 300 fps... so make sure you aim a little low..

good luck and shoot from your stand in the tree from which you are going to hunt so you know how to aim from that exact tree..

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:58 pm

i agree dont change your pin because you mahave to shoot from the ground someday . i always aim right behind the should about level with the top pf the shoulder/leg as shlupis stated this gives you some room for error and deer movement.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:12 am

Even though I shoot instinctive....I always aim low when the shots are closer than 17 yrds or down hill.....when I start shooting farther out like at 25 yrds I pull up a bit and go mid deer....I shoot mainly from a tree stand so I practice these differant distances and shot angles (up hill from stand down hill from stand straight out from stand) I also will be shooting from a blind and practice from the blind...this lets me know if I've secured the blind well enough and gives me the confidence needed when viewing the game deer or turkey through camo mesh and at a low seated position

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:04 am

I am still not sure what you are getting at by moving you sight pin !

1) You measure the shot distance on the ground . If it is 20 yards ,then no matter how high you are , it is still 20 yards . You don't figure in the hypotenuse angle !

2) Bend at the waist when you shoot . Most misses are caused by the archer "dropping his bow arm" .
If you are shooting uphill , do the same . Bend at the waist .

3) Thinking about aiming low because a deer might jump the string ? Deer can react very quickly but under 20 yards aim like you would on your target except picture where you want the arrow to exit on the far side of the deer . Depending on how high you are in the stand , a high lung hit on the near side should exit low on the lung on the far side . .

That's my advice and I'm sticking with it !   Image

marshall9779

Postby marshall9779 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:14 am

ORIGINAL: fasteddie

I am still not sure what you are getting at by moving you sight pin !

1) You measure the shot distance on the ground . If it is 20 yards ,then no matter how high you are , it is still 20 yards . You don't figure in the hypotenuse angle !

2) Bend at the waist when you shoot . Most misses are caused by the archer "dropping his bow arm" .
If you are shooting uphill , do the same . Bend at the waist .

3) Thinking about aiming low because a deer might jump the string ? Deer can react very quickly but under 20 yards aim like you would on your target except picture where you want the arrow to exit on the far side of the deer . Depending on how high you are in the stand , a high lung hit on the near side should exit low on the lung on the far side . .

If you are in a stand using a rangefinder, then you do need to take into acount the elevation. It's only 1-2 two yards at 20yds and under if 20ft up. That 1-2 yds plus a deer jumoing the string will make a difference.After about 25 yds though, it won't matter much. That is probably why the first two deer I shot were spine shots.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:05 am

ORIGINAL: marshall9779
If you are in a stand using a rangefinder, then you do need to take into acount the elevation. It's only 1-2 two yards at 20yds and under if 20ft up. That 1-2 yds plus a deer jumoing the string will make a difference.After about 25 yds though, it won't matter much. That is probably why the first two deer I shot were spine shots.

As long as the distance being considered is strictly the Horizontal distance and not the diagonal , i ould agree . If you are going to hunt from a few different stands , it helps if you pre-determine some distances . 10 yards to the big rock , 20 yards to the small maple , etc .. If a deer is 2 yards past the maple , you have a 22 yard shot .
Another thing that works is using the card holders that they place in a yard after spraying . You can paint the tops or leave them black . You can also put one of those scent wafers of felt pad on them and use them for a marker and attractant .

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:37 pm

ORIGINAL: fireflyparamedic

Well I finally got my tree-stand couple weekends ago. I made the Summit Viper Ultra my choice. I have noticed that the paint does chip off easily like other people have posted but overall I'm really satisfied with it as it is my first stand. Finally shot out of it today at a friends house. I really like the different perspective it gives you, meaning the view. Can't wait to actually see my first deer from it this season. Now I noticed that with the target being approximatly 25 yards away and being about 20 ft (7+ yards up) in the that I had to set my bow up about 4 inches high to hit the target where I wanted to shoot the arrow. Now will this affect my shot if the deer jumps the string. Should I aim low instead. Or do you guys seem to think that the arrow will fly fast and the deer should get hit where I think it will. I could possibly see the deer having a better chance of jumping the string at a further distance away from me. I'm shooting a new Quest G5 @ 60 lbs with a ? carbon easton  axis 400 arrows with a whisker bisket. Feel free and give me some advice.

thanks
fireflyparamedic

fireflyparamedic -  I had the same problem of shooting too high and I also don't judge distance very well.  So I switched my bow sight to a pendulum sight.  You sight it in shooting on the ground and when you get up in your stand, it automatically compensates for the shooting angle (As long as you are not trying to shoot past 35 yards)

I have a TruGlo Pendulum, and I know Troph Ridge makes one as well.

Good Luck.
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

fireflyparamedic

Postby fireflyparamedic » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:30 am

FFKEVIN, is this the same site that only has one pin either straight up and down and one that is slightly offset. (don't have my bow in front of me at this time cause I'm @ work) Mine is the offset site that you site in at twenty yards and can adjust the site along a plane that will ultimately change the distance. Well I just figured out what I may have done. I was up about 20 feet in the air and had the pin between the 20 yard line and the 30 yard line, so say about 25 yards, aimed at the target and hit low. Well I remember now that I adjusted my site to the 30 yard line and hit low again and then I just held the site high to where I was aiming. Next time I get up in the tree I will adjust my site and try again set at the 20yard line and see if that makes a difference.
thanks
fireflyparamedic

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:07 pm

I have the Cobra pendulum site on. Whether I am on the ground or up in a tree, 20 yrds is 20 yrds. It's on at both places. To simulate a  tree stand, I climbed on my 1 story house roof, put the McKenzie out at 20 yrds. away from the corner of the house, and numerous arrows were hitting the same spot.
  Switching to carbon arrows made a big diffence in speed. They definitly do fly flatter compared to my old alum arrows on the same bow.
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting