shooting from treestand 1st time.

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
fasteddie

RE: shooting from treestand 1st time.

Postby fasteddie » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:00 pm

I practice from a 10' high treestand in my back yard .

fireflyparamedic

Postby fireflyparamedic » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:01 am

once the season ends here in maine i will have to practice more from the tree stand. i certainly am thinking about that first deer from the stand but so far no luck. hopefully next year i'll get more of a chance to hunt.
fireflyparamedic

paulie

Postby paulie » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:34 am

Indeed, The best thing you can do, is "practice like you hunt"! In other words shoot from the height your stand wiil be at, at various distances, from variuos positions. I could tell you that, "at 18' up and 25 yrds out, I aim 4"low" but that does 'you' no good! No two archers will have the 'exact' same results shooting in various situations! Like I said before, the best thing you can do is pratice like you hunt!!

fireflyparamedic

Postby fireflyparamedic » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:51 am

paulie, I will say you are right with respect of shooting at different angles. I tried afew different poses like shooting sitting down and it certainly does make a difference. Now I was just reading the replies through again and picked up that a few bloggers like fasteddie state to bend at the waist because it helps to compensate for our arm dropping after the shoot. Do we just bend a little or a lot. Willing to give it a try and see if it does make a difference for me when shooting.
fireflyparamedic

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:51 pm

I wasn't referring to dropping the arm "after the shot" . I was talking about NOT dropping the arm when making the shot !
Sit in your stand and draw back your bow like you were shooting straight out (horizontal) from your stand . Aim at something 50 - 60 yards straight out . Now bend at the waist while keeping your bow arm out and aim at something on the ground at about 20 yards . This should give you an idea as to what I am talking about . You should also bend at the waist when shooting uphill and keep your bow arm straight out .
The best thing to do is to practice from a treestand a few months before season starts !

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting