Mechanicals vs. Fixed Broadheads

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
dxthunter57

RE: Mechanicals vs. Fixed Broadheads

Postby dxthunter57 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:34 am

i dunno about you guys but i think mechanicals have come a long way
i mean ya the older once are horribble
but i shoot the snyper expandibles but they are held on by a little rubber band
so it is fail safe
and they shoot like a field point

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:20 am

ORIGINAL: Squirrelhawker

This maybe a rabbit trail but I've been lurking on this thread and it is one of my buttons I guess you could say.

How do you suppose, or perhaps somone actually knows, how they test all these new mech designs? I'm assuming that a large portion of design work and penetration tests are accomplished through ballistic materials as opposed to live animals.

I wonder if this isn't an inherent "problem" with some mechanical designs right from the get go. I'm sure you can photograph and watch broadheads go through ballistic gel all day long, but I wonder how that equates to a deers chest? Angle, hide, ribs, no ribs, shoulder, no shoulder, abdomen,etc. How the heck do they quantify these variables?
With regard to scientific testing and theory, there has always been a constantly shifting chasm between "invitro" and "invivo" ie, the "laboratory" vs "life."

All of the same questions and logic apply to fixed blades.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:38 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

This maybe a rabbit trail but I've been lurking on this thread and it is one of my buttons I guess you could say.

How do you suppose, or perhaps somone actually knows, how they test all these new mech designs? I'm assuming that a large portion of design work and penetration tests are accomplished through ballistic materials as opposed to live animals.

I wonder if this isn't an inherent "problem" with some mechanical designs right from the get go. I'm sure you can photograph and watch broadheads go through ballistic gel all day long, but I wonder how that equates to a deers chest? Angle, hide, ribs, no ribs, shoulder, no shoulder, abdomen,etc. How the heck do they quantify these variables?
With regard to scientific testing and theory, there has always been a constantly shifting chasm between "invitro" and "invivo" ie, the "laboratory" vs "life."

True.  Minus the several thousand years of anecdotal evidence.[;)]

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:26 am

True.  Minus the several thousand years of anecdotal evidence.[;)]

touche

Brow Tine

Postby Brow Tine » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:01 am

I have shot many variations of the mechheads and I always return back to my Thunderhead 100's.  Its really a matter of choice.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:02 am

I hunt with Muzzy 3-blade, 100 brain broadheads, my buddy hunts with mechanicals. Not sure which one`s he uses.

We`ve both killed deer, and he`s yet to experience any issues with his mechanicals.

I`ll just say, no matter what the newest design, anything with parts that have to move, eventually, you will have a failure. Period. May not happen often, may not happen for a long time, but it will happen.

I see the up sides to mechanicals, but for me personally, I`m not open to the potential that my next shot will be the one, that will experience failure to operate properly.

Muzzys are all I`ve used in my short bow hunting career, and as JPH stated, why would you mess with success.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:07 am

ORIGINAL: hunter480

I hunt with Muzzy 3-blade, 100 brain broadheads, my buddy hunts with mechanicals. Not sure which one`s he uses.

We`ve both killed deer, and he`s yet to experience any issues with his mechanicals.

I`ll just say, no matter what the newest design, anything with parts that have to move, eventually, you will have a failure. Period. May not happen often, may not happen for a long time, but it will happen.

I see the up sides to mechanicals, but for me personally, I`m not open to the potential that my next shot will be the one, that will experience failure to operate properly.

Muzzys are all I`ve used in my short bow hunting career, and as JPH stated, why would you mess with success.

Amen. Bad to the bone.

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:55 am

as JPH stated, why would you mess with success.

Yep. If you are spilling a lot of blood with what you are using, keep using it.

If you are having arrow flight issues and have always been afraid of mechanicals (like I was), consider a rear-opening slip cam.

And as I said in my OP, I would be happy to accept $$ for saying that....really.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:26 pm

as JPH stated, why would you mess with success.

Yep. If you are spilling a lot of blood with what you are using, keep using it.

If you are having arrow flight issues and have always been afraid of mechanicals (like I was), consider a rear-opening slip cam.

And as I said in my OP, I would be happy to accept $$ for saying that....really.

[:D]

BruceBruce1959

Postby BruceBruce1959 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:31 pm

I use Muzzy Broadheads because they are "BAD TO THE BONE" 
I'd like $$$ for saying that but the 100% (no-fail) success rate is just as good as $$$

BUT some COMPLIMENTARY BROADHEADS wouldn't be a bad thing!!! <<---ATTENTION MUZZY [:D]
"When you live off the land, Living is Good"

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting