Mechanicals vs. Fixed Broadheads

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
schlupis

RE: Mechanicals vs. Fixed Broadheads

Postby schlupis » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:12 pm

Squirrelhawker in regards to your post if you go to youtube and type in grimreaper broadhead you will see how they test their broadheads with a deer shoulderblade with the hyde attached still with balistic gel all in slowmotion so you can see how the blades work on real animal bone and hyde...

This is for the people who posted the wound channel and blood trail are the same from a fixed to a rage. I shoot the rage broadheads and I will put the wound channel and blood trail against any Muzzy out there guaranteed the rage cuts a bigger hole and produces a much bigger blood trail, even on a marginal shot with the rage you will have a blood trail to follow... I have killed 4 deer with the rage 2 blade and have had no problems with them and have killed 2 deer with the same head so they are durable aswell as devastating.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:09 pm

I use mechanicals, the only reason i dont use fixed blades is.. to truely get your bow tuned for a fixed blade broad head, the best way is by shooting a field tip, then a broad head. see where they hit. some people do not have to make any adjustments. if they are off though, the best way to do it, as ive learned over the years is to adjust your knocking point and your rest accordingly. you want to bring the arrows together. your bow should be sighted in with the field tip, so adjusting the sights is not called for. when you shoot your broad head, if it hits away from the arrow with the field tip, you must change the knocking point (up or down) and the rest (left or right) accordingly. which, i really do not have the time to do.

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:44 am

You raise some excellent points mhouck06. I wonder how many people who are critical of mechanicals have actually tuned their bow for their fixed blades.

I'll admit that I did not do it early in my bow hunting career. My shots were all very close range and when the arrow drifted, I wrote it off as nerves.

Then, as my skill and equipment began to improve, so did my range. I finally tried to tune my broadheads and found that I could not get them to group properly. I did not know about moving my knocking point, but I knew something had to change.

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:22 am

I've tuned my broadheads (fixed) to my bow.  Your right it isn't exactly the same flight as your field tips, but they have a consistent flight when analyzing just broadhead flight.  So I know where my field tips hit, from a statistical standpoint on average, and I know where my broadheads hit on average.  Keeping track of your shots and tracking them using a grid and analyzing the coordinates can give you an average or median rather quickly.  I think you'll quickly find that there is some consistency.  I've often used a homemade fixed apparatus to hold the bow in a vice to eliminate human error as much as possible, such as twist or uneven follow through.   The only disadvantage to this is you have to do a lot of broadhead shooting, which can ruin targets quick or dull your blades.  Then you must keep on top of sharpening the blades as well.  I found it beneficial to align the blades to my vanes and I would get a better spiral, straight flight, and consistent grouping!  Can anyone else attest to this, I would love to hear their thoughts about matching your blade alignment to the vanes or if they experienced straighter flight offsetting them.  For me I align them.  Don't mean to hijack this thread, just a simple answer would be fine.  Or I can start another thread if need be! 

Happy Hunting[:)]
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

passin through

Postby passin through » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:13 am

Results from the Tribe for this past weekend:
7 deer down
Mechanicals held the day!
3 with the Rage 2 blade  (1 dropped in tracks, two went about 30yds with paintbrush blood trails)

2 with Spitfire 3 blade mechanicals (decent blood trail 1 went twenty the other 60yds)

1 shot with a new Trophy ridge UnderTaker 3 blade...(went 40 yds and fell in sight ..good enough blood but not as good as the grim reaper the guy used the previous year.

1 deer shot with a ???? two blade mechanical.  Looked like a walmart POS.  Big cut on contact tip,(I mean really big...almost the size of some of the new fixed blade mini sizes...the tip alone probably had a 3/4 inch cut) also it  had flip back style mechanical blades held in place by a rubber band.  This one I would not reccommend just because it had all the attributes that gave a mechanical a bad name in the first place.  On the positive side it did kill the deer even with the guy making a bad shot ( femoral artery)

loneranger

Postby loneranger » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:36 am

I have used Rocket expandables on over 20 deer now and have all drop within 100yrds. Just my experience so I stick with them.

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:12 pm

ORIGINAL: passin through

Results from the Tribe for this past weekend:
7 deer down
Mechanicals held the day!
3 with the Rage 2 blade  (1 dropped in tracks, two went about 30yds with paintbrush blood trails)

2 with Spitfire 3 blade mechanicals (decent blood trail 1 went twenty the other 60yds)

1 shot with a new Trophy ridge UnderTaker 3 blade...(went 40 yds and fell in sight ..good enough blood but not as good as the grim reaper the guy used the previous year.

1 deer shot with a ???? two blade mechanical.  Looked like a walmart POS.  Big cut on contact tip,(I mean really big...almost the size of some of the new fixed blade mini sizes...the tip alone probably had a 3/4 inch cut) also it  had flip back style mechanical blades held in place by a rubber band.  This one I would not reccommend just because it had all the attributes that gave a mechanical a bad name in the first place.  On the positive side it did kill the deer even with the guy making a bad shot ( femoral artery)

Sounds like one heck of a weekend! More sooting than a 3-D tourney.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:31 pm

Passin through hell yeah that sounds like my kind of weekend..

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:59 pm

Nice job hunting! Glad to see that fence sitter didnt ruin your season after all![;)] 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:02 pm

To be honest i have no idea about fixed
what are some good fixed blade broadheads
i have no idea of any
ive heard about the slick tricks and that they are really goood

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting