Mechanicals vs. Fixed Broadheads

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
schlupis

RE: Mechanicals vs. Fixed Broadheads

Postby schlupis » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:04 pm

Thunderhead broadheads are great fixed blades also the magnus stingers are good.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:54 pm

still using the magnus "nuge" blade big ol entry/exit wounds lots of blood to trail,kills em dead
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

passin through

Postby passin through » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:53 pm

Week two update from the Poppa Deaux Tribe

Not so good this weekend, scorching hot and a full moon creeping in and acorns falling like rain cut way down on the movement and sightings period.  But the stats for the weekend went like this:

The Spitfire twins both downed a doe a piece (20yd and sixty yd trails)

A new guy showed up with a new mathews and lost a doe with a Rage.....from the sounds of it he shot her way high and back....no blood after a few steps.  I think there's just not much there to bleed....anyway we voted him off the the island later on  (had to make some sort of sacrifice in hopes of turning around that slaughter Florida handed to LSU.....next time I think we really will have to eat the guy that misses... I just cain't handle another 51-21 loss)

The kid that was shooting the old style mechanical shot again...lost the deer,  I think the deer will probably make it though....the broad head exploded on impact ...no blood anywhere just some what appears to be leg hair.  Game camera pics show the same deer back again that night after midnight and we don't see any hurt spot on him.  Somebody needs to take that kid shopping for some decent equipment. 

And as for me.....  I fell over to fixed blades...Muzzy MX4.  Not that I'm giving up my Rages but the Muzzys are left over from before I met the Rage.  I still use them for Rabbit in the late winter and I keep one in quiver to make close range finishing shots with, or for varmits.  However I will tell you now though, I found a critter this weekend that muzzy wants no part of.... Biggest boar coon I've ever shot.  I swear that thing took the center mass hit at 25 yards ..pulled the arrow out , growled at me and took off.  (and no I was not drinking at the time....that came after kick off[:D])  Anyways I followed my coon with great blood for about 20 yds and lost him into a armadillo hole.... which really disappointed me both for the waste of the animal and I had already had visions of smother'd coon with brown gravey and onions....corn bread on the side.  Oh well ... the muzzy has been retired forever now....I would not shoot a frog with that mx-4.  Long live the Rage....and the Montecs(they are white death on bunnys, coons, and toyotas)

Totals for the weekend are :
5 deer and a coon shot at
5 hits
4 mechanicals and a fixed blade used

NYarcher

Postby NYarcher » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:29 am

Sounds like you guys are having a good week. When I started bowhunting it was with a Bear Grizzly recurve, Easton Gamegetter arrows with fixed "Painted ball" pins and 2 bladed Thunderhead broadheads. Compound bows were just gaining popularity, for ex. Bear had just come out with the Whitetail! (phew! guess im getting old!) As the years and technology have passed, so many different breakthroughs and designs (for better and for worse) have come along. I jumped on the mechanical bandwagon when they entered the scene and had several bad occurances happen. Went back to fixed blade (Muzzy's) but had difficulty tuning in my bow. So the following year I switched back to mechanicals and a new brand at that. Started using the Rocket Steelheads. Great broadhead. But as with earlier styles the main complaint ive had was the lack of pass through on several shots. And i believe it is all in the design of the flip back blades held with a small rubberband. I believe through my own experience that alot of energy is lost in the deployment of the blades. So to solve my 1 complaint I have now switched to the 2 blade Rage. Even if for whatever reason I dont attain passthrough, the size of the entry wound (2 inches) will leave one hell of a bloodtrail to follow. And as far as the comments about damaged meat, If the shot was placed where its supposed to be there is NO meat loss regardless of broadhead style, unless you like those ribs with all BBQ sauce and no meat!

Venison - the other red meat

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:01 am

ORIGINAL: NYarcher
So to solve my 1 complaint I have now switched to the 2 blade Rage. Even if for whatever reason I dont attain passthrough, the size of the entry wound (2 inches) will leave one hell of a bloodtrail to follow.

I've had less than 50% pass through success, even with a rear opening slip cam.

As you said, the wound is large enough for a good blood trail.

But even more important to me is the accuracy that I have gained. Knock on wood, but I have not yet had an arrow hit in a bad spot with these broadheads. They fly like darts!

I would take a boiler room shot with no blood trail, over a marginal shot with good blood any day.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:54 am

ORIGINAL: NYarcher
So to solve my 1 complaint I have now switched to the 2 blade Rage. Even if for whatever reason I dont attain passthrough, the size of the entry wound (2 inches) will leave one hell of a bloodtrail to follow.

I don't know what your shooting, but sometimes a heavier arrow will get you that extra little bit of energy, to obtain more pass throughs.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

deerbuster73

Postby deerbuster73 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:43 am

Im shooting montec 100's. This is the second year ive used them and have downed 3 deer with them. I do have a little trouble getting them pinpoint accurate though. Im hitting good enough to make a good kill shot on a deer but seems im off an inch here or there when target practicing. Im thinking about trying the rage heads next year and see if theyll give me a tighter group.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:42 pm

The rage heads will definatly give you tighter groups. Switch now season is still young.

BruceBruce1959

Postby BruceBruce1959 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:06 am

ORIGINAL: deerbuster73

Im shooting montec 100's. This is the second year ive used them and have downed 3 deer with them. I do have a little trouble getting them pinpoint accurate though. Im hitting good enough to make a good kill shot on a deer but seems im off an inch here or there when target practicing. Im thinking about trying the rage heads next year and see if theyll give me a tighter group.

I had the same problems with montec's when I tried them.  
Since then, I use nothing but Muzzy's and I'm extremely satisfied with the Muzzy broadheads and their proven track record.

I was at the range over the weekend and met a guy that was having some problems with the rage 2 blades he was frustrated because he couldn't get sighted in and with all the rage hype he wasn't impressed. He even claimed 2 shots pre deployed before impact (which I didn't see)
long story short,  I GAVE the guy a Muzzy 100gr. 4 blade to try and his first shot was right in the pump-house.  he was amazed and called the rage blades everything under the sun, I just smiled as he packed up his gear to go buy some Muzzy's.
My guess is Rage will be just a passing fad. 
(fad: a practice or interest followed for a time with exaggerated zeal)
Muzzy has something rage will never have  it's called,  the Muzzy 200 Club. <-check it out

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:31 am

ORIGINAL: BruceBruce1959

My guess is Rage will be just a passing fad. 
(fad: a practice or interest followed for a time with exaggerated zeal)

Hey guys, as the fad passes, send me a PM. I'll take your Rage's off your hands for you. [;)]

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting