Archery Head Shot - Any Advice?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Patriot

Archery Head Shot - Any Advice?

Postby Patriot » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:41 pm

Alright everyone.  I need your help.

A very good 31 year old friend of mine is new to archery....long story short...he shot a doe in the head tonight about 6:30pm.  The doe was 15 yards away and turned her head over her vitals just as he released.

The doe ran off with the arrow stuck in her head.  My friend is just sick about it.  We have practiced together numerous times and he is a good shot.

Please....anyone have any advice? ....other than a body search tomorrow?  Has this ever happened to you?  What was the result?

This is a serious request...no joke.  Please!  Anybody have any ideas????

Thanks!!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Goose

RE: Archery Head Shot - Any Advice?

Postby Goose » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:42 pm

My dad did the same thing couple of years ago, searched and searched.....no luck, found arrow broken off at broadhead,good luck hopefully it turns out better for you and tell your friend that stuff like that happens, it absolutely sucks and should bother you but it does happen.Good luck and let us know what you find and learn.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:49 pm

I have no real wisdom here other than the obvious and that is you need to follow up like any other shot. And be as thorough as if you'd hit her in the chest or liver. Her head needs to move and if the arrow is in her head and hitting stuff it is cutting.
There are arteries in the head just like any other area. She may bleed out. She could be laying out there now.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:50 pm

Thanks Goose,
I doubt we'll find anything, but we owe it to the deer to spend at least 1/2 day to look. 

Will keep you posted.

BTW...love the Genesis 27:3 reference!!

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:55 pm

Thanks, cant say I came up with it! lol , i should start telling the wife that when I leave to go hunting...Its in the bible hun! Image   And good luck!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:02 pm

Wow, so sorry to hear about the tough luck. You`re right, you owe it to the animal, but to your friend too, to put in a fair amount of time trying to find her.

It`s hard to say how it will turn out, but it will gut wrenching to say the least. And man, stuff can happen, so try to make your buddy understand it`s not his fault. Bad stuff happens, and it`s no use to kick yourself over it. Not to become complacent about things like this either, but it sounds like he feels plenty bad.

Best of luck with the recovery effort, and check back in and let us know how this turns out.

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:06 pm

I neck shot a doe several years ago and it was one of the most gastly blood trails I have ever followed. She bled out in 40 yds. I assume he followed up long enough to rule out a major artery, or you wouldn't be asking us. So I'll share the following.

I am at grave risk of being called a BSer here. Three years ago, a friend head shot a 130 class buck (extreem quartering away shot missed and hit in the turne dhead). He tracked good blood for a day and a half. Finally he lost the trail and gave up. Exactly one month later, he was rattling from a nearby stand. Suddenly, the same buck comes charging in with his arrow sticking out of the base of his jaw like a flag!!! My buddy ended up spine shooting the buck and killing him. The arrow was so badly lodged in this deer's lower jaw that he couldn't remove it. But the deer was healthy, well fed and willing to respond to rattling. And most amazing of all, this played out on a busy public hunting area near Des Moines!

I don't know how this story will help, but it make your buddy feel better.

Well...there goes my credability.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:09 pm

Thanks 480,
If we find it, it would be quite the story for his first bow kill.  Will let you all know tomorrow how it turns out.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:14 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

I neck shot a doe several years ago and it was one of the most gastly blood trails I have ever followed. She bled out in 40 yds. I assume he followed up long enough to rule out a major artery, or you wouldn't be asking us. So I'll share the following.

I am at grave risk of being called a BSer here. Three years ago, a friend head shot a 130 class buck (extreem quartering away shot missed and hit in the turne dhead). He tracked good blood for a day and a half. Finally he lost the trail and gave up. Exactly one month later, he was rattling from a nearby stand. Suddenly, the same buck comes charging in with his arrow sticking out of the base of his jaw like a flag!!! My buddy ended up spine shooting the buck and killing him. The arrow was so badly lodged in this deer's lower jaw that he couldn't remove it. But the deer was healthy, well fed and willing to respond to rattling. And most amazing of all, this played out on a busy public hunting area near Des Moines!

I don't know how this story will help, but it make your buddy feel better.

Well...there goes my credability.

JPH,
I believe you.  Several years ago my brother's good friend shot a buck in the head and did not recover it.  Two years later he killed that same deer.  The broadhead was still embedded in the back of the skull.

Crazy!

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:38 am

Well I'm gald I haven't lost your trust. I just re-read that post and it looks like my 8 year old wote it. I must have been tired.[8|]

I'm looking forward to hearing how this one turns out. And tell your buddy to keep his chin up. None of us want to see wounded deer. But the dirty little secret is that it happens to ALL of us eventually. He just drew a bad straw.

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting