Archery Head Shot - Any Advice?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
wack

RE: Archery Head Shot - Any Advice?

Postby wack » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:22 pm

So my 1 head spine and lung shot in 7 years of bow hunting was unethical? I can live with that. I've killed 28 deer in 7 years with a bow and have lost 4. My NEF single shot 30-06 has taken 36 deer with the last 40 hunting shots, lost 0, I'm 1 for 1 with my new shot gun, 1 for 1 with my 44 mag. and prior to these weapons I had at least 80 filled deer damage tags from '88-'92 with various weapons. Ethical in my mind is more to do with the end result and how you prepare to get to the end result desired.  A deer that drops in it's tracks and never gets back up is a perfect end result of a lot of practice and experience.
 Hey Pariot, what killed the doe? Hitting the head or the vitals? What happened? Details?
American by birth, hunter by choice.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:33 pm

ORIGINAL: wack

So my 1 head spine and lung shot in 7 years of bow hunting was unethical? I can live with that. I've killed 28 deer in 7 years with a bow and have lost 4. My NEF single shot 30-06 has taken 36 deer with the last 40 hunting shots, lost 0, I'm 1 for 1 with my new shot gun, 1 for 1 with my 44 mag. and prior to these weapons I had at least 80 filled deer damage tags from '88-'92 with various weapons. Ethical in my mind is more to do with the end result and how you prepare to get to the end result desired.  A deer that drops in it's tracks and never gets back up is a perfect end result of a lot of practice and experience.
Hey Pariot, what killed the doe? Hitting the head or the vitals? What happened? Details?

Hey wack, I like your stats.  Honestly, I'm not sure what actually killed the deer.  The arrow only went in an inch or so (just below the eye....see pics).  It did not enter the body at all.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:18 am

Hey Patriot congrats to your frined on the recovery.  I shot my first deer last weekend and have been trying to find him ever since, so i can empathize with the gut wrenching guilt your friend went through...just glad he found her, and congrats on his first kill!

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:40 am

ORIGINAL: wack

Wack, those are some impressive stats! Congratulations.

Is a deliberate head shot with archery equipment unethical? It is for me.

Just b/c you get away with something does not mean it's a good idea.

I'm not out to change you, but if anyone else is reading this, I would advise against head shots.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:15 am

I'm right with you on this one JPH...Head shots with archery equipment is not very ethical if you ask me.  What's the chance of making that perfect head shot to kill an animal?  Not very high.  I'll stick with the very high percentage shots whether I'm using a gun or a bow...

cjkrw

Postby cjkrw » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:25 am

Great job on the recovery Patriot! Im anxious to get my first deer here soon. Now I know if I hit one to NEVER give up till I find it!

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting