Archery Head Shot - Any Advice?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
trapperDave

RE: Archery Head Shot - Any Advice?

Postby trapperDave » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:35 am

very lucky indeed! Congrats on a good recovery/ nice doe.
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:46 am

BTW Patriot, I forgot to complement you on the great photo. Awesome pose, color and smile. That will bring back a good memory long after the meat is gone.

I hate those bloody, tounge hanging out, back of a pick-up pictures.

hilltop

Postby hilltop » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:52 am

Good job guys.

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 am

Great job and congrats to your buddy.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

bowhuntersrave

Postby bowhuntersrave » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:38 pm

Congrats on your first deer.
www.bowhuntersrave.com
Preserving our bowhunting heritage

Mathews/Bowtech Raffle enter today

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:42 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

BTW Patriot, I forgot to complement you on the great photo. Awesome pose, color and smile. That will bring back a good memory long after the meat is gone.

I hate those bloody, tounge hanging out, back of a pick-up pictures.

Thanks JPH.  I agree that photos are a huge part of the whole hunt.  When all is said and done, it's the pictures that help preserve the experience.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

wack

Postby wack » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:17 am

Good deal. I too have had a similar incident but my buck didn't go 4 feet. I was lined up on the backbone and vitals from almost straight above. Very flexible animals.lol He was 5 yards from my tree, waiting for a better angle when he lined up his head with the spine and vitals. I shoot a fairly heavy arrow, I know I've got great KE for a bow, Axis arrows with Thunderheads, my arrow went through the head, ear to ear, then through the backbone and the Thunderhead was into a lung. It was in the middle of rut, it still took a long time for this deer to stop thrashing around.
 I'd never aim for just the head, but if he/she gets the head in the way of the vitals, am that close and have that much KE, why not. I'm glad to see nobody trashing him for the post. The first one is always the toughest deer to get.
 I'm curious as to what actually killed this doe? Did the broad head get to any vitals? Pass through the head? What kind of set up was he shooting? arrow, BH, draw weight, penetration? My set up was shooting around 74 on the KE calculator and I was amazed at how much bone it went through and destroyed on my buck both skull and back bone. My first bow wouldn't have done that kind of damage.

American by birth, hunter by choice.

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:45 am

ORIGINAL: wack

I'd never aim for just the head, but if he/she gets the head in the way of the vitals, am that close and have that much KE, why not. I'm glad to see nobody trashing him for the post.

The story in the OP was of a hunter who shot the dear in the head by ACCIDENT. There is no fault to find there.

On the other hand, for a hunter to suggest that it is okay to shoot through a deer's head in order to get to his vitals is a whole different issue. I would not do that with a 30.06 let alone a bow! I mean if it is okay to aim though his head, then is it also okay to aim through small trees? I mean they are softer than bone, right?

Sorry, but if anyone finds themself in that position, I would suggest that they wait until the vitals are clear of ANY obstruction before shooting.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:57 pm

Ohhh man thats a bummer! I guess if I were you Id take the night off and look for it in the morning. I agree you owe it to the animal and to your friend.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:25 am

ORIGINAL: DeerCamp

Ohhh man thats a bummer! I guess if I were you Id take the night off and look for it in the morning. I agree you owe it to the animal and to your friend.

Hi DeerCamp,
Check the entire thread (including pics of the harvest).  We were fortunate enough to find the doe the next morning....about 200 yards down the well worn deer trail. 

This certainly was an accident.  Under no circumstances should a bow hunter aim for the head.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting