Climbers VS Hang-on stands

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
danesdad

RE: Climbers VS Hang-on stands

Postby danesdad » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:41 pm

I have the Lone Wolf and I love it.  It's portable, quiet, easy to set up and sturdy.  I dont own any land, so I dont use hang ons.  I like the idea of a hang on in an area that consistently produces deer because the one advantage they have is it is easier to get into an established stand in the early morning darkness.  I have a ladder that I use close to home on property I have permission to be on, but everywhere else, it's the Lone Wolf climber for me. 

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:43 pm

outdoorsfellar thanks for the link just checked it out that stand looks great I know what I want for christmas hope santa reads the forums.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:44 am

I just started hunting from tree stands this year...previously I always used ground blinds/stands.  I initially had my sights set on a ladder stand simply becuase of the convenience of being able to get up and down it quickly, especially in the dark, not having to worry about tree selection etc.  Then a friend let me try his climbing stand for a hunt and I was sold on the climbers.  They both have their pros and con's.  With a climber you are highly mobile, no need to truck a ladder stand through the woods with all the straps and tie downs, you can set up and hunt on the fly and just about anywhere you can find a fairly straight tree without too many low hanging branches.  You also don't have to worry about someone stealing it or sitting in your stand...just lock it to the tree or pack it out.  I will admit getting up and down a self climber was a bit awkward at first but I went up and down it for the 5th time today and it was pretty easy...even for a 43 y/o like me.   The only real drawback I see is if you happen to drop something from your stand...if you didn't pack a second release, set of gloves, etc, your SOL and climbing back down!  The biggest challange I find (and its really not all that challenging where I'm at ) is finding that perfect tree in the right postion to hang a climber off of.  Aside from the above, I have no regrets and purchased my friends climber (he has 3) the next day.

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:05 am

I use my climber alot especially in areas with good timber, where I don't want to screw tree steps into potentially valuble veneer.  I also use it for scouting out new locations. I don't mind packing it for long distances and I'm pretty efficient at getting it set up quitely in the dark.  That being said I also use hang ons and ladder stands as well, they all have a niche they fill in my hunting strategies.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:48 pm

I had always hunted from the ground or from fixed stands until last year. I bought a Gorilla climber and love it. I prize the mobility it offers and even though it restircts you to certain tree's usually I can find one within reasonable range of where I am trying to hunt. Plus you can play the wind as it changes through course of the day.

It is a pain though in the morning if you don't have a pre-selected tree to start out in. Just too noisey. I have adapted this year by hunting in the morning using a very light and portable telescoping blind and three legged camping stool. This allows me to check the area out and select some trees for possible climbing that afternoon.

I do find that for long sits especially during the rut where pretty much one spot is "almost" as good as another I am still more comfortable in a nice big 2 man stand or ladder stand. More room and you can bring extra seat cushions! Very important if your hunting from sunup to sundown...
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting