What To Do?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
deerhunter125

RE: What to do?

Postby deerhunter125 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:25 pm

i would talk to a dnr warden and see what the laws are about retrieving a deer on someone elses land. if it is the same as around me as long as there is blood on your side of the fence showing that you shot it on your property the landowner must let you go and get it. so if that is the case i would leave the stand where it is and go with that.

RUMEN

Postby RUMEN » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:08 pm

SFD,  WHEN A WHITETAIL IS HIT THEY EITHER FLEE DIRECTLY AWAY FROM THE POINT OF IMPACT OR RUN IN THE SAME DIRECTION THEY WERE TRAVELING WHEN SHOT. IF YOU HAVE A GOOD TREE AND THE WIND IS RIGHT, I WOULD TRY TO GET A LITTLE CLOSER TO THAT HOT CORNER. THE KEY IS TO SHOOT THEM ONLY WHEN THEY ARE MOVING IN A DIRECTION THAT WILL CAUSE THEM TO GO DOWN ON YOUR PROPERTY. DONT SHOOT WHEN THEY ARE HEADING INTO THE PINES, GET THEM ON THEIR WAY TO THE FIELD    PS: I THINK THAT BUCK IS LIKELY IN YOUR NEIGHBORS FREEZER.THE STORY SMELLS LIKE THE GUT PILE THEY DIDNT WANT YOU TO FIND. GOOD LUCK OUT THERE

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:38 pm

ORIGINAL: RUMEN

WHEN A WHITETAIL IS HIT THEY EITHER FLEE DIRECTLY AWAY FROM THE POINT OF IMPACT OR RUN IN THE SAME DIRECTION THEY WERE TRAVELING WHEN SHOT.

Sorry, but that is a generalization at best. I have shot deer that changed direction at impact and and I have shot deer that ran one way, and then another.

I really do not know what the hunter in the OP should do, but I would not agree that a deer facing away from the restricted property when shot is a safe bet.

passin through

Postby passin through » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:42 pm

SFD- I'd leave the stand be.  I'm not a fan of hunting the property lines but that's mainly because I have trespasser problems  (Not retrieving deer but actively hunting inside my line)  However if you have a good spot and can live with the odds of it going over there then leave it be.  IMO it sounds like your nieghbor lady is a kinda misguided anti hunter type.  Story sounds odd that you got permission to go track then she comes along and rides till the deer is bumped then the next day you lose permission to even go look?  Sounds like she bent her husbands ear with some mis guided blithering about allowing the poor animal to live.....yada yada.  If they wanted to retreive the animal they would not have bumped him.  Like I said, I'd leave the stand be and hunt it.  As to the tracking and retreiving deer portion of your dilima I wish you well in trying to get permission back to go in there because one day you may need it.  I would not make a production of it but if you have it happen again and you can't get permission to go look then ask him to, maybe?  It beats the animal going to waste.  Or go the Law route as was suggested earlier, I've never heard of that but I kinda like it.     

cannycorn2000

Postby cannycorn2000 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:20 am

Take more accurate and careful shots.  Be more deadly and you won't have this problem.

drdaven

Postby drdaven » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:10 pm

My suggestion Bark is to take your trail cam and set it up on your favorite deer hunting spot.  You already know there are bear hitting your bait.  Let your cam do some pre rut scouting for you while you continue to go after Boo Boo or his buddy Yogi.

That is what I would do anyway.
Hunting the Michigan Thumbs agricultural mecca...farm country bucks taste the best.

AlleganBowhunter

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:58 pm

If it were me I would be on the Bear and Bear Hunting forum, if there was such a thing.  I hope to cash in on my bear points in a year or two and I will be all about bear all the time.

We have to wait at least a few years between bear tags, and can buy how many deer tags every year?  I love deer hunting but we can do it every year, bear is a different story.

If I had your shoes on, once bear season was over or I tagged my bear, I would rely on what previous knowledge I had on the area to finish the year. 

Hope this helps!

John
Aim for the center of the target... the center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a basketball. The difference is mental.

John in Michigan.

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:39 am

Bark, its easy for us to tell you one thing or another. IMO I would hunt hard for your bear, as long as you waited to get a bear tag, I'd stick with it. Plus don't be so hard on your self. This is for fun don't forget. Besides the rut will be heating up when bear season ends, and there's alway the late season.

Best of luck to you
The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind. "Fred Bear"

barkriver

Postby barkriver » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:10 am

Thanks for all the advice guys, all of you are thinking what I was thinking but I just need to hear it from some fellow hardcore deer hunters. Hopefully I can post some pics of a bear in the weeks to come.

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:17 am

As my father would say and please don't take it personal, "dont be dumb".

Focus on the bear tag as you've waited for it for some time now and invested money in it with baiting and what not.

The rut will kick in at the end of October and make excellent hunting for deer, so just pick out a couple of known good rut locations for your stand and be ready when the 26th comes for amping up for a snarly charlie to sneak through his rut routine right below your setup scent checking doe travel patterns.  That is what I would do.  You may not get another chance at a bear for some time and you would probably regret it if you don't years from now.  At least you can say you gave it your all if you end up not getting one and there is always deer season every year to follow.

Good luck
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting