What To Do?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
DeerCamp

RE: What to do?

Postby DeerCamp » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:02 pm

Im in the same boat as you. Ive waited 5 years though. I have till 10-21. I have a monster coming to my piles, but I live 6 hours from my stand so I can only hunt it 4 days then head home.  Its tough because I have a 500lbs bear coming in too!Im hunting in Escanaba, and I have put out a little corn for the deer to come in to the bear stand too. Possibly to get a shot at one there. My main focus is to go after the bear, but when Im down here for those three days, Im trying hard for a deer. Good luck to you.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

DeerAddict

What To Do?

Postby DeerAddict » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:38 am

I haven't been able to set foot on the land I'll be hunting next week.. The farmer said I couldn't go on his land until today..Now I can.. Should I set up my ground blind? Or is it too late? Should I put it up now, or opening day?

I'll also be using my climber on his property.. Should I set it up at the bottom of a tree until next week? Or should I just take it there on opening day??

I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DOOOO![&:][:(][&:]

scottflesher

RE: What To Do?

Postby scottflesher » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:39 am

Don't lose sleep over your delimma deeraddict. There are + and - to whatever you decide. On one side of the coin, having your blind set up and your stand on your tree a week early would be great to give the deer time to adjust to them. On the other side, the human scent could scare them off for a while. Six to one, half a dozen to the other.
As far as the climber goes, I always think it's a good idea to set it up a day or two before the hunt. I've had too many instances where I've dropped a wing nut or made too much noise putting it on the tree before daylight, even when I've been taking my time and successfully put the stand on the tree in the darkness during past hunts. Also depending on the weather, the length of walk you have, and the weight of your climber, the last thing you want to do is work up a sweat before you hunt. If you work up a sweat while you're walking into your stand, or climbing your tree, you'll freeze out (not to mention be more easily detected via your scent) if it's cold.
Experiment, experiment, experiment. The more you try, the quicker you'll find out what works for you and what doesn't.

JPH

RE: What To Do?

Postby JPH » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:44 am

If I am correct, Indiana's bow season runs until mid-November so there is no need to get too stressed, in my opinion. If it were me, I would get in there now and set up in "observation mode". That is to say that I would place my blind/stand in locations that allow me to view large areas of the property from some distance. I would spend early-mid October watching how the deer use the property. I would also take this time to do some "speed scouting". By that I mean that you study aerial photos or topo maps to identify a handful of travel corridors or pinch points. Go into those areas quickly and pick out some potential stand locations. Now as you learn how the deer use the property, you can narrow down where you want to move to once late-October and the pre-rut kicks in. Wait for the deer to start really moving, check the wind and move into the best ambush site biased on our observations and speed scouting.

That's what I would do anyway. 

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting