How early are you setup??

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Goose

How early are you setup??

Postby Goose » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:00 pm

On morning hunts how early are you in your tree and setup? Do you think it makes a difference if your an hour early or a half hour early? Do you walk in at light? Have you done all three and notice one better than the other?
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Goose

RE: How early are you setup??

Postby Goose » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:01 pm

I normally try being setup a half hour early but am gonna try an hour early the next couple times to see if I notice a difference.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:19 pm

Ya, Ive heard some yotes barkin one evening while getting down from my stand. They were real close. I didnt like it to much. Everyone's going to get scared now and then. Its just the way its going to be.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:22 pm

For bow I come in early. I like to sit an hour to and hour an a half before daylight. One time I was late getting up and I got to my stand at light. I didnt see anything, but then again who's to say I woulda saw something if I came early too?

For gun, our group takes a tractor out and we like to go in about 45-1hr after light.Just the way we do it. We also leave the woods an hr to 45mins early. Its a big woods, this way it's a little safer. I have shot several deer doing this and havent noticed a difference. However I wouldnt have been able to shoot any of them if I were using a bow.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:49 am

I want to be in the stand a minimum of 30 minutes before daylight . Depending on my stand location is what determines what time I leave for the stand .
It's neat to see and hear nature wake up in the morning as the sun comes up . But then , after a while , the birds and squirrels get pretty noisy and I wish I had a Remote Control to quiet them down ! [:-]

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:09 am

It depends on where I'm hunting and how I access my stand.  If I need walk across an open field, I will wait until just after light so I can see deer and try not to spook them.  If I know I can get to a stand undetected I shoot for an hour to an hour and a half be for daylight. I like to be in my stand before the deer start filtering in from there night time feeding areas.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:17 am

one hour for me I like to sit in the dark for awhile plus it lets the woods settle back down for awhile after climbing into your tree.

I have got into my tree at first light not by choice Mr. Coors Light wouldnt let me get up with the alarm. I did see deer but its not the same as seeing the woods come to life as the sun comes up.

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:21 am

Half hour for me but if in doubt, always get in earlier rather than later.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:54 am

For me ..I like total darkness so I go in and hour to hour and half before light....full moons drive me crazy like walking in  day light.... if I move deer then they have time to settle ...circle and come back in

I just made a set up at camp.....it's about a mile from the cabin by road and it takes me right into an area that has a bunch of food and high weeds...dog wood brush and beds...and a super high way of deep rutted trails......the stand I made was to be 15ft up a huge wht pine but could only go 11ft..[&o]...but it plays the wind well and I have the road 200 or so ft to my back....started the stand thurs. but had trouble cutting huge limbs and miss calculated size of tree and needed another 6ft of chain....plus forgot decking nails..[&:]...when I went back friday the trail in was just loaded with big fresh piles of deer dung...finished stand and cut and removed just enough limbs to have some good bow lanes infront and rifle all around...then it rained ..so my sent should have dissapated rapidly.....don't like being so low... may have to put up a blind on the 30 x 36 in deck.....Any how I'll see in a couple of weeks whether going in before light works in this stand or if its a afternoon stand.....

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:57 am

Wow ..I either  can't type ..or spell....lol[;)]

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting