How early are you setup??

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
hunter480

RE: How early are you setup??

Postby hunter480 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:27 am

Best case, I need to be in the stand at least an hour before legal shooting time, which is 30 minutes before sunrise by the way. I actually prefer to be in the stand 90 minutes early, whether it be bow or gun season.

That makes for an early morning, as we have to bail out of the truck, finish dressing, spray down with Scent Killer, gather fanny packs and bows or guns, then begin the hike to the stand. Usually at least a 20 minute hike.

Well worth the time and trouble though.

Great question.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:57 am

I try to time my walk into morning stands so that I climb into position 30 minutes before shooting time (or 1 hr. b/f sunrise).

But I will occaisionaly allow the sun to break over the horizon and still hunt or spot-and-stalk on my way to the stand. I plan to do a little more of that this year. Particularly on days when I plan to remain on stand all day.

Goose

Postby Goose » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:26 am

Like I said earlier Its normally a half hour before opening for me, but today I went in an hour early and I must say I felt better getting there that early. Wish it was easier to get up earlier!Image
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:04 pm

I've pretty well done it all. From a good hour before first light,   to stillhunting my way in after full light.

You know what? I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference. Everything has it's pros and cons.

Just for the record though, the B&C typical whitetail with the 10" droptines that I killed during shotgun season I killed stillhunting in a good hour after legal shooting time. Had I been on my stand I would have killed him too.  Go figger.......
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:51 pm

One hour before light, which is 30 minutes before shooting time. Panman
Be Aware, Bikes are Everywhere!!

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:46 pm

i like to be sat and ready 45 min to an hour before first light.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:47 am

I always use the cover of darkness to access my stand sites. During the firearms seasons, I head out to the stands a little earlier. If I can get to my stands before the other hunters in the area get to thier stands sites, my chances of harvesting a mature buck increase greatly. In essence I'm using the hunters that get in the woods late, to drive deer towards my locations.  [8D]
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:05 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

I've pretty well done it all. From a good hour before first light,   to stillhunting my way in after full light.

You know what? I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference. Everything has it's pros and cons.

Just for the record though, the B&C typical whitetail with the 10" droptines that I killed during shotgun season I killed stillhunting in a good hour after legal shooting time. Had I been on my stand I would have killed him too.  Go figger.......
I thought if a rack had 10" inch droptines it would be considered a non-typical? I'd really like to see a picture posted of your trophy Woodswalker, how many points and inches did the buck score?
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:06 pm

ORIGINAL: EatDeer

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

I thought if a rack had 10" inch droptines it would be considered a non-typical? I'd really like to see a picture posted of your trophy Woodswalker, how many points and inches did the buck score?

I have tried to post that photo on here, but it says that it's too big, and I'm a computer moron and haven't the slightest idea how to resize. If you send me a PM we could exchange e-mails and maybe you could post it. Lord knows I'd love to show it to all of you!

He had 14 points, and scored 170 typical, and the taxidermist also scored him non-typical as 184, I believe.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:17 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

I try to time my walk into morning stands so that I climb into position 30 minutes before shooting time (or 1 hr. b/f sunrise).

But I will occaisionaly allow the sun to break over the horizon and still hunt or spot-and-stalk on my way to the stand. I plan to do a little more of that this year. Particularly on days when I plan to remain on stand all day.

A good variation of this is to go to a different stand for the afternoon, but stillhunt your way to it so that it may take you 2 or 3 hours. You may even eat lunch along the way. It's a great way to break up a day, plus you get to see some new scenery.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting