How early are you setup??

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Patriot

RE: How early are you setup??

Postby Patriot » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:48 pm

I hunt open farmland.  It's near impossible for me to access my spots in the morning without kicking deer off the fields.  That works out fine for me since I'm a terrible morning person.

During November hunts, I'll try to get out an hour before shooting time if at all possible.  By that time, some of the fields no longer attract deer and I can access my swamp edge stands in the morning.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:03 pm

I'm right with you Patriot....I hunt open farmland too and there are fields pretty much at every entry point.  This was a discussion the group had here a week or so ago...There is a thread on it.  Anyways, yea, it's tough!  Looking for tips on how to get better with that!

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:20 pm

Drop right in with a chute!!!!!

Just kidding guys.  I think I would play the wind as much as possible and take a ditch line if you have farmland that has this type of cuts through it like ditches or lowpoints around fields.  But, the wind part is crucial IMO.  Also, you ever try moccasins or just walking to your stand in your socks.  Helped me from time to time, but I had to move slow and change socks at my stand, just a thought.  In any case, is there any other "woodsy" route.  I assume not.

Happy Hunting[:)]
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:21 am

you can find those heavy felt boot insoles...I sew elastic to them and wear them on the bottom of my boots for stalking .to stand  works really well

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:32 am

You may want to consider allowing the sun to come up (from a high point along the edge) before stalking in to your stand. This can allow you to watch the deer and only move when they are not looking. It can also help you to remain on stand longer into the day b/c you have been able to stretch your legs.

tracer

Postby tracer » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:09 am

Great topic. After walking in to your stand before first light, do you make a couple of calls ( what type?)to settle down any deer that may be near by?
Mossy Oak Pro Staffer

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:44 pm

I will make some soft calls when I get settled usually...This also goes for when I'm leaving my stand at night and I get a foot stomp or a snort from a deer that is close.  A soft grunt or snort myself usually does it!

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:09 pm

ORIGINAL: EatDeer

I always use the cover of darkness to access my stand sites. During the firearms seasons, I head out to the stands a little earlier. If I can get to my stands before the other hunters in the area get to thier stands sites, my chances of harvesting a mature buck increase greatly. In essence I'm using the hunters that get in the woods late, to drive deer towards my locations.  [8D]

That is a good idea.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:13 pm

I like to get in and set for at least 30 minutes while it is still full dark.  That doesn't always work out, tho.  I've had deer milling about my stands and even had several walk by me on the way in...when it was far too dark to shoot.  Also, I've sat for 3 or 4 hours after sunrise until I saw a deer.  I do enjoy being out when the woods "wake up".  There is no cooler time to be out there, IMO.

bowhuntersrave

Postby bowhuntersrave » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:23 pm

In the morning I like to be in my stand an hour before daylight.
In the afternoon I like to be there 3 to 4 hours before dark.
I only bowhunt.
www.bowhuntersrave.com
Preserving our bowhunting heritage

Mathews/Bowtech Raffle enter today

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting