Quiver on or off?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Goose

Quiver on or off?

Postby Goose » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:54 am

Do you hunt with your quiver on or off. I am hunting for the first time with it on this year. I got a new bow and a nice quiver with it so noise is not much of an issue. Ive practiced all summer with it on and dont even notice it now. The doe I got Monday was the first deer with it on and I didnt even notice it. It is mounted high enough so the arrows dont stick out on either side of the limbs. The reason Im shooting with it on this year is because Ive seen so many second chance shots and with the quiver on your arrows are right there and you can keep watching the deer while your grabbing another arrow. Whats your take and opinion??????
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

fasteddie

RE: Quiver on or off?

Postby fasteddie » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:07 am

For the past two seasons I had to leave mine on as it was a two piece quiver and didn't detatch . Using a different bow this season and will take the quiver off the bow and hang it .
Make the 1st shot count and you won't have to worry about a 2nd chance shot !

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:46 am

Fasteddie is right, making the first shot count is critical, however, I will have my quiver on just in case.  Don't really see a reason to take it off as it then creates one more point where something can go wrong.  Just my opinion, though.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:26 am

Always on for me. I practice with it on so i hunt with it on.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:53 am

i take mine off even used a hip quiver till i bouight my climber. but i think its a personal choice

"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:07 am

i agree with fasteddie as well, I never plan on taking a second shot with the bow but you never know and if the oppurtunity does present itself hopefully Ill be ready! Alot can happen from the time you draw back on a deer and pull the trigger.  If I miss and the deer doesnt spook to bad hopefully Ill be able to get another one off without making to much movement. Anybody ever get one on a second oppurtunity shot?
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

djohns13

Postby djohns13 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:39 pm

Yes, I have gotten more than one on second shot opportunities.  In all cases, however, it was a young deer.  I don't think the older ones give you many second shots, that's how they get to be older.

Good Shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:24 pm

My first bow was a 50 yr. old recurve ...so I bought a hip quiver....never found a reason to change when I bought my compound...if I were to need a second shot ...it hangs right next to me in the tree and I loosen an arrow for a quick grab............

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:35 pm

I also practice with my quiver on so I hunt with it on.
Kyle

Xenger651

Postby Xenger651 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:57 pm

i have been shooting w/ my quiver on since i started bow hunting.i have been very thankful of that cause i have taken 2 does ones after another.

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting