Quiver on or off?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Goose

RE: Quiver on or off?

Postby Goose » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:23 am

Goose,
Love your Genesis 27:3 quotation!  I use that one all the time as well!

Its hard to beat the word aint it. I should start telling the wife that when I go out hunting! Its in the Bible hun......
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

ILBowhunter

Postby ILBowhunter » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:09 am

I suppose there are benefits to both leaving the quiver on and taking it off.  When I first started bowhunting I always left it on.  The primary benefit I saw to doing so was that it gave me more ready access to another arrow, but I was never is a position that it would have helped me.  Also, I would be concerned that the deer would be alerted by the first shot, and, even though standing at 20-25 yards, might jump the string on a follow-up.  Also, there have been times that I have held the bow in front of me and watched through the arrows on the quiver as the deer approached.  I felt that it concealed my a bit more than a bare bow, especially movements of my eyes.  But, this was likely more superstitious on my part than any real benefit.

Now I take it off and hang it on a hook in the tree.  My reasons are weight and sound.  Most of the time I am in the tree I hold my bow as there have been many times that deer appear out of nowhere and making the movement to remove the bow from a hook alerted them too much.  So, the quiver is off to reduce weight during long sits.  Second, With the quiver holding 3-4 additional arrows on the bow, I believe there is substantially more sound than with it removed. 

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:47 am

Il Bowhunter:
I have held the bow in front of me and watched through the arrows on the quiver as the deer approached.  I felt that it concealed my a bit more than a bare bow, especially movements of my eyes.  But, this was likely more superstitious on my part than any real benefit.

Image  I have done that as well! Its funny what your mind does when you got deer in front of you!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

deerdown

Postby deerdown » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:26 am

I'm a quiver off in the stand guy.  I've tried doing some shooting with the quiver on ... just prefer the feeling of having it off.  I would like to get to the point where I can leave it on, I just haven't got there yet.  You never know when you might get a shot at a deer and it's definately handier on the bow.

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:49 am

I started by keeping the quiver on, but when I got my new bow this spring I actually found I much more accurate with it off especially after shooting several arrows.

I leave it hung on my bow hanger next to me. I like the idea of getting a second arrow ready. I will have to come up with a way to do it Retrieve and load one handed without a lot of movement. (Nearly impossible with the quiver on or off) Considering my arrows are 30"+ w/ broadheads getting that moved withour atracting attention is difficult at best.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:07 am

I shoo with quiver off, practice with it off, main reason if you have to hold the bow for a while, much lighter and easier to hold on target

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:41 am

off it always seems to bump into something on.besides never needed a second shot[:D]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting