Quiver on or off?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
shaman

RE: Quiver on or off?

Postby shaman » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:35 am

I always hunted with it off, but I always had a good way to keep the quiver handy for a quick second shot.  I've hunted with a Quickie Quiver for all my days, and for the most part, I've had a second Quickie bracket attached to a screw that went into the side of the tree or a nearby limb. For the past few years, I've attached to the shooting rail of my buddy stands.  The arrows are right there at my feet, just like when I'm practicing.

My reasoning was this:  with all that extra mass flopping around on the off side of the bow, I figured by taking the quiver off the bow I had a more predictable flight.  The other reason I had was that all that extra hardware on the side had a tendency to catch branches and stuff . Your mileage may vary of course, but I found it gave me a tighter group. It certainly made the bow lighter to hold.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:21 am

I dont like having mine on.  Ill take it off and put it up in the tree.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

OHhunter

Postby OHhunter » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:32 am

I hunt with mine on, I practice with it on and leave all arrows but one in it while practicing, so everythings the same when the moment of truth actually comes.
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:56 am

I hunt with mine on at all times now. I used to take it off and hang it in the tree I have screwed up a couple second chance opps because I had to turn to take another arrow from the quiver plus it takes 2 hands if the quiver is off and I once had the quiver fall from the branch 30 feet to the ground, deer dont like that when they are walking in the area. Now It stays on my bow and I have one less prob to worry about.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:59 pm

Never have I taken it off while bowhunting nor will I ever I don't think.  It doesn't affect me while on stand at all so it's just an unnecessary thing to do for me anyways!

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:16 pm

I like to be consistant with my setup, so I keep my quiver on since that's the way I practice.

It's nice having arrows right there when I need them.  One less thing to worry about.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:17 pm

Goose,
Love your Genesis 27:3 quotation!  I use that one all the time as well!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:20 pm

I used to take the quiver off my old bow but I leave the quiver on my new bow when I'm out hunting,it can be a little aggravating and in the way while shooting off a ladder stand but it is better to leave it on in case of needing another quick shot or if I have to move around through the woods for a different angle of shot...beside that it is very noisy and hard to remove my quiver since it is so tight a fit.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:34 am

Quiver on, absolutely. I see no reason to remove it from the bow while hunting.

And well said by all, that if you practice with the quiver attached, you should hunt the same.

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:16 am

I agree with shaman, I always take the quiver off when tree stand hunting. I have the quiver hanging nearby with a loosed arrow ready for a second shot. I learned my lesson the hard way, my quiver and arrow nocks have scraped the sides of tree's spooking wary turkeys and deer away, before I even get a shot off, let alone a second shot. [:'(]
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting