Remember to watch where you step!

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
passin through

Remember to watch where you step!

Postby passin through » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:35 pm

My Dad gave us boys of the Oakland Bowhunting tribe  a very pointed reminder this past Sunday morning to watch where we were stepping next Wednesday when season opens.  We had been in the woods all weekend and no snakes.....Dad comes home from the rodeo Saturday night about midnight and finds two coiled rattlers on his carport by the back door of the house.  Both were about 3 1/2 ft long and one had 8 and a button while the other had 9 and a button.  I've never even seen two rattlers on the same acre together but dad finds two in the same square yard about 3 ft from the door to the house.  After he brought those by the house to show me and the guys and warn us to tread lightly we were all a tad freaked about going walking again.  Sure enough the snake sightings went up incrementally from there on out with sundays total ringing in at 6 water moccasins (cotton mouths)shot, stabbed,  or smooshed by various folks around the lease and one 4 ft cane break rattler I whacked about 100 yds from my opening day ground blind.  So ya'll watch your step!

Sailfish

RE: Remember to watch where you step!

Postby Sailfish » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:51 am

Good reminder.

I have to think of it everytime in the woods.
Rattlers and water moccasins are common.
Snake boots are a good idea.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:06 am

Glad i dont have to worry bout poisonous snakes!!
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:37 pm

We have a few Poisonous Snakes here in Missouri but there are plenty of other large snakes that actually eat other Poisonous Snakes,Mice and Rats so if you see a non-poisonous snake please don't hurt them.We always carry any Black Snake,Salt and Pepper Snake or King Snake down to the Barn and release them there to take of any mice or other snakes around there. 

oneshot 1

Postby oneshot 1 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:46 am

ORIGINAL: GTOHunter

We have a few Poisonous Snakes here in Missouri but there are plenty of other large snakes that actually eat other Poisonous Snakes,Mice and Rats so if you see a non-poisonous snake please don't hurt them.We always carry any Black Snake,Salt and Pepper Snake or King Snake down to the Barn and release them there to take of any mice or other snakes around there. 

Thats strange every place I've owned in Missouri has had many Large rattlers.Around this place alot of Rattlers and Copperheads.

oneshot

passin through

Postby passin through » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:29 am

ORIGINAL: GTOHunter

I generally try to do the same especially around my feed barns.  I have an on going love hate relation going on with a Black snake about 6ft long I started calling Sid....(Sid the Snake[:D])  He did do a fantastic job of keeping the meeses and mouses out of the horse feed.  Now the older he gets and bigger he just lays around or drops down out of the perlins to look at whomever comes in the door.  He's still good for a laugh on a new guy but he did it to me awhile back when I went in there with just a flash light and I like to have had a stroke.  I swear it was just like on that jungle book cartoon my daughter watches....nose to nose.[:D]  I think his problem besides getting old & fat is he now has a girlfriend or compatriot living in there with him ....I found two sheds in there last month.  Sid is 6.5 feet now and mystery guest is about 4.  I just wish they would eat more  ...I hate rats worse than snakes.

Return to Archery and Bowhunting