PEEp sight noise

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
howhill1

RE: PEEp sight noise

Postby howhill1 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:49 pm

in the last 22 years ive used every type of peep and alignment method there was . some form of tubing was the only thing i found that gave me perfect alignment 100% of the time. i dont think that your peep alone is creating that much noise and the 1 or 2 feet per second you may lose isn't worth worrying about. i swithced to a hindsight two years ago and like it alot. you mentioned that the buck you saw busted before got drawn. it could be that somtheing else is putting the deer on alert. i.e. scent, movement etc. a tense deer is a hard target. i remember a study several years back when the speed bows were picking up momentum that an arrow would have to travel over 650 fps to beat an alert whitetails reflex's. just my 2 cents from my experiences
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:41 pm

MAG I was not implying you were wrong or the advice you gave was wrong just giving another opinion! This was coming from the worlds most successful bowhunter what does he know right!!!! Everyone has got an opinion and that is why this forum is good because you can get all the angles. I do not shoot fingers and like howhill said the speed shouldnt be a factor but the noise I would worry about.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:35 pm

i use a tubeless peep too, never liked those tubes. they dry and crack and break at terrible times. just one more thing to worry about, so i use a tubeless peep.

from my experience, most deer that i have every had duck an arrow did so because they were already alerted to something. i have actually never missed one from ducking an arrow, but i have had deer take off pretty quick after the shot. but they were all deer that were already alert for some reason. i would have to agree that your peep is likely not contributing to the deer jumping the string, something else is making them alert before you even shoot. could be anything, could be something else youre doing, or could just be the deer are edgy in your area. i have an area i hunt that the deer are just always more high strung than other ares i hunt. those are things that you pick up after hunting an area for awhile.

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:17 am

Just watched Deer and deer hunting tv. A guy missed at 25-30 yards the deer dropped only 14 inches. I done with this post. Believe what ever you choose.

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:55 pm

Get a tiny bit longer peep hose, it will provide enough resistance to keep the peep aligned while providing a little slack on release to hush noise.

That said, any sound will travel at 750 mph, while the fastest arrows will travel 150 mph. You will not get an arrow on target before the sound gets there. Your best bet is to have a relaxed deer, occupied with eating or another activity.

ARROWSMITH

Postby ARROWSMITH » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:58 pm

Just as Highlader said, a longer tube may be needed but first try sliding your tube down your cable as far as you can and see if that helps with the noise, if this does not help then get the longer tube.  You need enough tube to barely  pull the peep straight, it shouldn't be so tight at full draw that you can pluck it like a banjo string.  By sliding it down your cable when you draw it should raise the attachment point up and not put so much tension on the tube. good luck.

bigbuckhughes

Postby bigbuckhughes » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:20 am

Has any one tried the "String Splitter".  I think Jay Gregory pushes this?

ILBowhunter

Postby ILBowhunter » Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:52 am

I agree with others who've said that if one can get by without the tubing, that is the best option; as vipermann7 said it's just something else to worry about and that might fail at an inopportune time.  But, I also agree with howhill1 about the noise from the tubing.  How can one know that "rubber tubing is making enough noise to help the deer 'jump the string'?"  How much difference in sound is added by the tubing compared to the sound made by the bow itself and any add-ons (e.g., sight, quiver, etc.)?

Also, it was stated in the original post that though one of the deer ducked, it was hit in the liver.  I don't see how ducking would lead to a liver hit.  It might if the deer moved forward since the liver is several inches back from an ideal shot placement.  Was it walking at the shot?

I also agree with howhill1 that maybe the deer was on high alert as a result of the detection of scent, other sounds, etc.  Unless it was alerted, sensing it was in a dangerous situation, and already about to bolt, it seems unlikely that at 17-18 yards that it was able to react and jump the string enough to make a good shot miss by more than a couple of inches.  My math shows, depending on speed of the arrow, at 18 yards the arrow would get there in no more than 0.20 sec, while the sound would reach that distance in about 0.05 sec.  In a relaxed deer, a significant amount of the difference would be consumed by evaluating the threat value of the sound before mobilizing the appropriate response.  However, in an alert deer, it may begin to respond when the sound arrived.

Goose

Postby Goose » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:56 am

I agree with the majority that its probably not the tube causing the ducking but Ive heard the same bow with everything the same exept going from a tubed peep to tubless and I couldnt believe the difference! Im not saying that maybe the tube wasnt to tight or in the right position but however it was, it certainly made noise.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting