turning broadheads

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
ibewman

turning broadheads

Postby ibewman » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:17 pm

im kinda new to this but how do you turn the inserts in carbon arrows
i didnt climb to the top of the food chain to eat soy burgers

OHhunter

RE: turning broadheads

Postby OHhunter » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:28 pm

I've always read not to heat carbon which is how I turned them in my xx75's years ago, I don't really know with carbon?  Good question.  I've been using bemen max4's with hit inserts since they came out and really haven't had to worry about it to much.  If I come across one with a lot of wobble I try a different broadhead, if it still wobbles, it goes to my practice quiver.

sorry not much help.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:22 pm

What are you trying to accomplish that you would want to "turn an insert" ?

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:27 pm

i assume your trying to align your broadheads. try using some small rubber orings. you can snug your heads enough to align them. spin em after words to check allignment.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:41 pm

Do what howhill said, but Ive seen the pro shop heat up carbon arrows.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:05 pm

Be very careful if you do heat carbon as to much heat will burn it and you will have no strength at the tip of your arrow.

As for heating carbon, the HIT inserts are glued with epoxy so i cant see this working anyway.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:16 am

If you are trying to align your broadheads , you could try this ...... unscrew the broadhead , remove the nock and drop a drill bit in the shaft , swing the arrow down sharply a couple times and the insert should come out . Do it in somewhat of a confined area with safety glasses . Once the insert is out , screw the broadhead on tight , clean the outside of the insert and the inside of the shaft , apply glue , put glued insert in shaft , align and let the glue dry .

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:45 am

If you can't thread the broadhead in all the way you could go the other way and cut a few threads away (grinding is your best bet) from the broadhead so you don't have to thread it in so far. I'm still not sure what your after?

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:47 am

I'm assuming we're talking about aligning the broadhead with the fletching?
If so, I use to sweat that a lot until coming to the pro shop I currently use. When the topic came up my guy said to stop sweating it. It means very little in terms of accuracy.

I use a 4 blade head with 2 fletchings anyway like many of us do. What's to line up?

I must be missing something in this thread?

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:24 am

I to am assuming that we are talking about aligning broadheads with the vanes/feathers.

I have not noticed an accuracy difference but i still do it. I think its a mental factor but ill take what i can get!!

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting