Bow Shops

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Goose

Bow Shops

Postby Goose » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:23 pm

Off of fast eddies post about a bow repair gone bad I was thinking wouldnt it be great if they offered a school or certification of Bow mechanics like they do with auto mechanics. I would feel better if the pro shop had a plaque that stated their employees were all certified by so and so like SAE certified mechanics.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Highlander Archery

RE: Bow Shops

Postby Highlander Archery » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:31 pm

Some mfgs do train pro shops in mechanics, unfortunately they seem to be poorly marketed.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:51 am

Let me just add to this.
I am new to bow hunting, I have done alot of reading and practicing and what not on bows, but there are just some things that an qualified person would be great to hire or have around to show you the ropes so to speak.

I have contacted 2 area (and very reputable, allegedly) bow shops in the past asking for some assistance on a couple matters. I offered to pay and hourly or half hour rate, whatever it would take.
Guess who took me up on my offer? No one.

You know it these hard times you would think folks would be a tad more customer friendly.

Oh, it did solve my dilemma on where I will be purchasing future supplies and equipment, and I also have a new book:

[font=arial]TUNING YOUR COMPOUND BOW[/font]
[font=arial][/font] 
[font=arial]by Larry Wise. (I hope I can give him this plug)[/font]
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:00 am

That's pretty much been my experience with local bow shops.  No interest unless your part of some inner circle. 

I've found Cabelas to be pretty good, no major complaints.  One time I bought arrows there and left them to be cut, then got them out to the farm and found they hadn't been cut, Cabelas gave me a $250 gift card to make up for my trouble.  THAT'S CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Just took my Illusion to Basspro last night to get a cracked limb repaired - they're just a mile from my house so thought I'd give them a try.  They're never as busy as Cabelas so they seem to take a little more time with the customer.

shadow

Postby shadow » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:43 pm

I use Cabelas not far from me for arrows, broad heads and the other small stuff. Helping set up my bow, getting a new one or repairs, I use Halls Archery in Central Conn.,  I'm very lucky I have a place like them around. I never have to worry about the service or info that the guys give me there, they are the tops in their field.
I can trust them I guess...... Olympic Archery Gold medal winner, National Champions, etc..., etc.., etc.. I"m just lucky to have them near me.

http://hallsarrow.com/About%20Us.html

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:15 am

All across the US sound like most shops are the same. Clicky, and the larger places think there better then they really are. I've had some luck at Cabela's until the guy that knew a few things left. Then got my arrows cut wrong, I found that out after the hour ride home. Bass pro shop is ok, but don't ask about traditional stuff because thats a "waste of time", I couldn't believe the guy said that. I know one guy that works out of his basement. I have him do any bow stuff and I invested in a fletching tool, arrow spinner and so on to do my own arrows now. Much less of a headace.  

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:30 am

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

That's pretty much been my experience with local bow shops.  No interest unless your part of some inner circle. 

I've found Cabelas to be pretty good, no major complaints.  One time I bought arrows there and left them to be cut, then got them out to the farm and found they hadn't been cut, Cabelas gave me a $250 gift card to make up for my trouble.  THAT'S CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Just took my Illusion to Basspro last night to get a cracked limb repaired - they're just a mile from my house so thought I'd give them a try.  They're never as busy as Cabelas so they seem to take a little more time with the customer.

Hasn`t been my experience in the least. I bought my bow from the pro shop, "juinor" set it up, tuned it, helped me paper tune cut arrows, fletched, watched my form, re-adjusted the draw length... I paid for the cost of the bow and accessories.

I go into the shop today, he checks the string, looks over the cams, does whatever else he does when checking out a bow for functionality, hands it back to me so I can go over to his indoor range to shoot. No charge.

He`s spent time with me a couple times, watching my form, helping me pinpoint flaws that were killing my groups. No charge.

I buy all my arrows from him, all my Muzzy broadheads, all accessories I need or want, I visit regularily, and he treats me great.

Did by "inner circle" you mean a paying customer?

Goose

Postby Goose » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:49 pm

Ill agree with ranwin33 about the inner circle thing. Or another good one is walk into a place that sells hoyt and pse with a mathews in your case and theyll treat you different. A bow is a bow and a dollar is a dollar. Ive found a good shop about a half hour away and Id rather take the drive then deal with some others.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:36 pm

ORIGINAL: hunter480

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

Hasn`t been my experience in the least. I bought my bow from the pro shop, "juinor" set it up, tuned it, helped me paper tune cut arrows, fletched, watched my form, re-adjusted the draw length... I paid for the cost of the bow and accessories.

I go into the shop today, he checks the string, looks over the cams, does whatever else he does when checking out a bow for functionality, hands it back to me so I can go over to his indoor range to shoot. No charge.

He`s spent time with me a couple times, watching my form, helping me pinpoint flaws that were killing my groups. No charge.

I buy all my arrows from him, all my Muzzy broadheads, all accessories I need or want, I visit regularily, and he treats me great.

Did by "inner circle" you mean a paying customer?

480.. ive always dealt through my personal friend and the bow shop he works at, like i said in the other post, there shop doenst seem to have the inner circle syndrom. but this year i was looking for a new bow, i decided on the hoyt katera, and my friends shop did not have any more in and by then i didnt want to wait for one to be ordered, they had some katera xl's but at my height 5'7", i wanted the katera. so i went to the shop 5 minutes from my house, spent $700 for the bow and i'd have to say $700 is a lot of money and me being a "paying customer" i still wasnt part of the inner circle. i just bought the bow because i had a sight, rest, stableizer, arrows, etc. from my previous bow.  the boys there ridiculed that decision, talked down on the other shop, saying theres was the best around. later that day, me and john started making my new string and putting my accesories on, looked at it and found that it was very far out of time. decided to crank the poundage up and found out the limbs were off balance. so im going to have to say, that you are lucky to have a shop that does that for you. realize, not everyone has your experience.. and from the two threads discussing this. it seems that you are one of few that do have good experiences. i recommend the shop my friend works at to everyone, the only problem is they are not located in a convenient place for most people. so john has started doing work in his own basement for the shop. without him, and ace high archery, id have to say, id be screwed

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:31 pm

Jay Peake archery in North Huntingdon PA.  Jay is retired and runs a shop out of his basement but he's been shooting forever and has killed a wide variety of game with bow and arrow.  I've worked with him on two bows I've had or have (one I bought from him) and he's never steered me wrong yet.  He knew my draw length just by looking at me and tuned my bows perfectly.

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting