What Ruins your Hunt?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
fatbob240

RE: What Ruins your Hunt?

Postby fatbob240 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:23 am

My #1 answer isn't on there, but I've had three stands stolen, all from private land and they were all locked. I've gone to using my climber EVERYWHERE, but that has it's downfalls too but at least it doesn't end up missing.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:05 am

I voted for rain (specifically heavy rain).  My hunting spot is 3 hours away, so bad weather really impacts my emotions.  I pretty much have my handfull of hunting dates all mapped out before the season starts, so when it rains, the whole weekend is shot. 

Regarding cell phones.  I love them strictly for the fact that I can text my buddies at different properties (who are also hunting at the same time).  It's great to see who is seeing what during a given hunt.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:14 am

More than once I have been sitting in my stand and next thing I know here come my neighbor's dogs, nose to the ground, until they end up right beneath my stand looking at me with a big doggie smile and a wagging tail. I've had to text the neighbor to come and retrieve them and have even had to walk them back to the house myself.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:22 am

Up to this point in my hunting career I've mostly hunted private land so I had to go with High Temps. In SW Alabama it can get into the mid to upper 70's or even 80 during the first half of the hunting season. My first problem with this is I sweat like a pig with minimal movement when it's warm and muggy out, it's just not comfortable hunting weather. Then there is nothing worse than trying to sit quietly waiting for a deer to show up and have a giant red wasp decide he wants to move back into your shooting house with you in it! I HATE WASPS, those pieces of #@$% hurt when they sting you and they don't stop with just one sting. Luckily I've been able to avoid being stung while in stand but none the less I usually end up still hunting when the weather is warm. It doesn't matter what shooting house you choose, there's always a few wasps that want to move back in with you when the temps get above about 65.

Now my pet peeve would be ATV's or UTV's getting driven around the property when it's hunting season. The land I hunt is not owned by me so I can't raise a stink when the owner decides to take the UTV to the center of the property to pick Okra or Turnips in the middle of hunting season. I've learned to move as far away from the house and center food plots when hunting and I have to say it's improved my success rate considerably. This year I have a climbing stand and plan to go even further away from the center area of property where the house is!

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:25 am

Another one for me is cattle.  I've had several occurences where they get through fences and start feeding in the corn/soybean field that I am hunting over.  Can't stand that.

On opening day last year, the local bull basically "treed" me in my truck.  I was getting dressed in the field and he came right over to investigate.  I ended up getting dressed in the truck bed and eventually snuck off to hunt when he lost interest.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

cutngut85

Postby cutngut85 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:42 am

I like to think that nothing really ruins my hunt. Bugs are a pain, as is rain, but it beats a day at work! The only thing that does actually ruin my hunt is hot air balloons. Believe it or not LOL. One piece of property I hunt is located near where the NJ Balloon Festivals are held and about 2-3 morning hunts a year, around 5:30-6am, they light them up and start filling. I have yet to see deer those days. The first time I experienced it, I was scared as all heck. Imagine sitting in the dark, quiet woods and suddenly all you hear is a hot air balloon filling up a few hundred yards away.....

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:12 am

ORIGINAL: cutngut85

I like to think that nothing really ruins my hunt. Bugs are a pain, as is rain, but it beats a day at work! The only thing that does actually ruin my hunt is hot air balloons. Believe it or not LOL. One piece of property I hunt is located near where the NJ Balloon Festivals are held and about 2-3 morning hunts a year, around 5:30-6am, they light them up and start filling. I have yet to see deer those days. The first time I experienced it, I was scared as all heck. Imagine sitting in the dark, quiet woods and suddenly all you hear is a hot air balloon filling up a few hundred yards away.....

Oh yes....New Jersey....I grew up there. You may get a kick out of this then. I saw this on another site:

**********************************************************************************************************************************
SUBURBAN DEER HUNTING TIPS

"OK, I've decided to spill my guts. I'm sure many of you will be skeptical but I know this stuff works.

Ive been culling for a local police dept for the last few years, on VERY small woodlots in developed (to say the least) suburban areas in NJ.

Consider: I live on 70,000 acres of federal land on the Delaware river where I've killed a pile of deer, and I'm driving 1 1/2 hrs through rush hour traffic to hunt deer in the suburbs.

I can watch TV through peoples' windows. Sometimes I even bring my own remote so I can change channels.

Old women have approached me and asked if I would shoot the deer eating their roses. I think the 50 or so deer I've killed in the last couple years is evidence enough to support my tips. Don't get all indignant. The cops threatened to get in white RINO if we archers didn't kill enough, so we can hunt 'em like rabbits with a clear conscience. Ok here goes:

1. Stalk as the corporate jets are taking off. They'll never hear you. Traffic noise, sirens, church bells and loudspeakers from car dealers also work.

2. Carry a leaf blower and the deer will think you're a Mexican and ignore you.

3. Try a ghillie suit. I killed one from the ground at about 30 inches! My arrow barely cleared the shelf. I got splattered. They really don't get it.

(NOTE: I hunt on the ground in a ghillie suit, and this is TRUE! They don't get it!!!)

4. When blood trailing, listen for the sound of hooves on the pavement. It's audible for a long way. Don't forget to check the sides of parked vehicles for blood.

5. Gasoline makes a great cover scent.

6. Where multiple deer are legal, always shoot the lead doe first. The rest of them are helpless.

7. Never accept money from people who want you to hunt in their yards(lunch is OK). Word will spread and you'll have more places to hunt and more free lunches.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

cutngut85

Postby cutngut85 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:44 am

^^^^^^^^^

Funny stuff........but true

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:15 pm

Actually I have 2 things that can pretty well ruin my hunt,the first would be when the Brother In-laws are too lazy to walk to their hunting stands so they either drive their truck out by their stands or their 4-wheeler. Idiots...then they wonder why they don't see or shoot a Deer! [8|] [&:]

The second thing that really makes me mad is when there are dogs running back and forth through the woods,if they don't scare the Deer away that very moment eventually the Deer will pick up their scent and stay away for several days afterwards!Oh yeah...and I've never been lucky enough for any dogs to scare Deer towards me for a shot! [:@] 

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:52 pm

ORIGINAL: Patriot

I voted for rain (specifically heavy rain).  My hunting spot is 3 hours away, so bad weather really impacts my emotions.  I pretty much have my handfull of hunting dates all mapped out before the season starts, so when it rains, the whole weekend is shot. 

Regarding cell phones.  I love them strictly for the fact that I can text my buddies at different properties (who are also hunting at the same time).  It's great to see who is seeing what during a given hunt.

I agree on the cell phone part.  Not only can you do what you just said, but your close to anyone if there should be an emergency!! 
QDM!

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting