mechanicals?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
bckklr

RE: mechanicals?

Postby bckklr » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:52 pm

i've used both i use MUZZYs i've shot a couple deer perfect with mechanicals & i still wonder where they went they are supper accurate but i dont trust them & if u ever miss they are a pain to clean & get to work properly again i tried the nap spitfires i'd stick with those MUZZYS remember they are BAD TO THE BONE
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

bowhuntersrave

Postby bowhuntersrave » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:23 pm

For me there are to many things to go wrong with mechanicals. Muzzy MX-3 100 and Slick trick mag 100's work best for me.
www.bowhuntersrave.com
Preserving our bowhunting heritage

Mathews/Bowtech Raffle enter today

passin through

Postby passin through » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:10 am

Sounds like we've been hunting with the bow about about same amount of time using basically the same equipment.  I started with easton game getters /4 blade 100 gr muzzys and a bear buckmasters bow @ 57#'s==two deer stuck -one recovered.  I went to a Diamond Liberty in yr two with a CE maxima 250 /blazer vanes and the rage 2 blade /57#s draw......love it.  two for two in year two longest blood trail about 150 yds ....mainly due to the deer having a bedded varmit in his escape route that respooked him after the shot.  I recommend making them "Feel The Rage"!

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:36 am

In the short time I`ve bow hunted-only 5 seasons-I`ve used only the Muzzy, 3-blade, 100 grain broadhead. Killed several deer with them, and wouldn`t consider going to a mechanical.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:05 pm

I learned a long time ago that if anything has moving parts, or is female, I WILL have problems with it!

I like cut-on contact 3 blade heads. They're easy to sharpen and have never failed me.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:19 pm

I was a died in the wool cut-on-contact, fixed blade guy until a couple of seasons ago. I went to a slightly faster bow and began to have tuning problems. In despiration I tried the Rocky Mountain Sniper (now manufactured as the Rage). I have become so much more accurate in the field that I will never go back. I have lost a little penetration, but it was a good trade off.

gard73

Postby gard73 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:21 pm

Don't think it matters. It's all preference. If you can't put the arrow where it needs to be it doesn't matter what's on the end.

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:53 pm

I only use spitfire mechanicals now, I have revovered most deer within 50 yards and last years buck went about 10 feet, it had no idea it was hit.

The reason is that you need to practice with fixed blades and once i got sixteen stitches in my left hand pulling one out of a deer target, before the layer targets were born,No matter though those spit fires fly true and do the job, not willing to take that chance again.

only draw back is extreme angles, can't shoot those with mechanicals but i wouldn't shoot them with fixed blades either.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:22 pm

although i mentioned before how i like the mechanicals.. ive been thinking.. you cant beat the cutting area of a fixed blade compared to the mechanicals.. if you dont get a pass thru, id think that a fixed blade would do more destruction moving around in a deer. i believe it also depends on how sharp ur blades are, it would be tough to sharped a dull mechanical blade, but it seems somewhat simple (although ive never tried) to sharpen a fixed blade..

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:21 am

ORIGINAL: gard73

Don't think it matters. It's all preference. If you can't put the arrow where it needs to be it doesn't matter what's on the end.

Etch this in stone!  100% dead on!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting