mechanicals?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Boe_Hunter

RE: mechanicals?

Postby Boe_Hunter » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:36 am

The mechanicals on the market today are very good.  I have not used the Rage blades but they have a huge following.  The Grim Reapers seem to be a popular head too.

I use the NAP Scorpions. They have the cut on contact head which is the part I like best about it.  All the blades are replaceable.  They are less expensive than most mechanicals.  I have shot three deer with these heads and every one has been a passthrough. 

SyracuseBowhunter

Postby SyracuseBowhunter » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:33 am

I shop NAP Thunderheads (125 gr.) for years and then switched to Wasp's Jak Hammer mechanicals (125 gr.) about 4 years ago.  The NAP broadheads were good and I shot a number of deer with them, but I really like the Wasp broadheads because I don't have to adjust my sight pins when I start practicing with them.  I haven't had any problems with them so far.  Shot a buck last year, complete pass through and it only went 30 yards and dropped.  The Wasp mechanicals open up to 1 3/4" and that makes a pretty big hole with lots of blood.
"All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

Mohunter68

Postby Mohunter68 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:43 pm

[font=arial]Boys, I'm not sure where you come from, but I can tell you this. Changing broadheads from a fixed, to an expandable, is an easy fix to "Not tuning your bow!"  It does not, fix the problem at hand. It may correct it to a point, but never, ever fixes what is wrong with the set up in the first place! I bought a new Mathews about 2 years ago, and the first thing I did was tune it. This practice has been a lost art. I wasn't satisfied until I could drill bullet holes through paper. I went the mechanical way for a while. But after tuning my bow perfectly, I found that I could shoot any broadhead on the market. I shot Muzzy's, I shot NAP, I shot Wasp, expandables. Everything shoots great. That is a testimony from a finely tuned outfit. If you get your centershot perfect, you can shoot anything you want. I also shot the "rage" I was not impressed. The mechanics of this broadhead made me uneasy? I was questionable about their performance. My personal set up is a Mathews Switch back, with carbon express, Maxima arrows, 250, at 72lbs, and 100gr. Thunderhead 100gr. 3 blade. They, are awesome! They are in my opinion, the best you can get. [/font]

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:47 pm

i shoot cut on contact magnus blades.no problems.In the past i had used spitfires but like it was allready stated any thing with moving parts is bound to give ya trouble
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

ARROWSMITH

Postby ARROWSMITH » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:38 pm

I've used spitfires since they came out because they don't have any rubber bands or o-rings, Ive never needed a blood trail becuase the deer always piles up fairly close to me I've used the same ones year after year and sharpen them just like a fixed blade, cleaning them is a bit more difficult than a fixed blade but only requires a small straight slot screw driver, I have shot them consistantly out to 80 yards (yes 80 yards!)without a problem.  If I had to switch I would go to the Rage, and for a fixed blade I would go to the Crimson Talon, I just don't see how you can beat a fixed blade that will help your arrow spin and recover faster instead of tring to plane off in one direction.  I have never met a muzzy that I liked!

Legnip

Postby Legnip » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:23 am

I've only hunted with the fixed Muzzy 4 blade. I've never had a deer go more than 50 yards with them. I'll keep using them with my compound, but I've picked up the Rage 2 blade for my crossbow. The crossbow shoots 345 fps and it seems to plane a little bit with the short arrow. I'm excited to see how they work this fall.
From those who much is given, much is expected

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:10 pm

Uh, I didn't say anything was wrong with my setup... I just thought about using something with a little bigger cutting diameter.

passin through

Postby passin through » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:19 pm

Try the Rage 2 blade then...the only one I know of (seen first hand)that makes a bigger hole is a BuckBlaster...and they are finicky hard to play with items.  But I've put my hand in holes both of these made.  I shoot the Rage myself and it works well.

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:29 pm

Switched from the thunderhead100 gr tried and true but some what hard to tune tight groups...Switched to the Rage 2 blade 100 gr Killed 2 deer last year with the Rage the two shortest track jobs I have ever had the 11 point buck dropped in sight less than 30 yards away with a entrance hole I could almost fit my fist in not a complete pass through. The doe went around 45 yrd complete pass through with a walking blood trail that looked like somebody took buckets of blood and threw them on the ground, when I found her both entrance and exit holes were plugged with softball size chunks of her vitals. The Rage broadheads are devastating and durable both broadheads are still sharp and in perfect working order..... they also shoot exactly like a fild tip atleast for me....

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:27 pm

Wow cant believe all the pro fixed blade broadheads! Shoot what works for you not everybody else, try both and see what flies best for your bow and the way its tuned. Some will shoot fixed better than others and that can be related to many things-bow tuning, fletchings, wind and ect...  My 2 cents is this- I recomend mechanicals just for the fact of accuracy, the good ones fly great and penitrate well. Theres less surface area for wind planing and I feel they are a little more forgiving than fixed blades. I shoot the rage 2 bladers myself and am very happy with them.Between my brother and myself we took 5 deer and 2 turkeys with them last year and couldnt believe the damage and accuracy of these heads.  The only complaint I do have is that I have had them open up in my quiver while traveling but just snap them back into place and they are good to go! Like I said earlier shoot what works good for you and good luck!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting