mechanicals?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
djohns13

RE: mechanicals?

Postby djohns13 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:41 am

Great post Squirrelhawker, I hadn't thought about it quite like that.  I personally have never had trouble getting my Montec G5s or Thunderheads to fly like my field points so I haven't experienced the fixed blade flight issues that others have.  I have taken several deer with mechanicals but have decided that a mechanical is one more area of risk that I don't need.  Until I experience a problem with my fixed blades, I think I will be sticking with them.

Good shooting.
Darren Johnson
Internet Pro Staff Member - Indiana

Glad to talk to all of you, but I'd rather be sitting in a tree stand on a cool morning trying not to move so that the bruiser buck directly below me doesn't figure out that I am watching him!

Squirrelhawker

RE: mechanicals?

Postby Squirrelhawker » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:20 am

ORIGINAL: djohns13

Great post Squirrelhawker, I hadn't thought about it quite like that.  I personally have never had trouble getting my Montec G5s or Thunderheads to fly like my field points so I haven't experienced the fixed blade flight issues that others have.  I have taken several deer with mechanicals but have decided that a mechanical is one more area of risk that I don't need.  Until I experience a problem with my fixed blades, I think I will be sticking with them.

Good shooting.

You too. As it happens I was hanging at the bow shop last night getting some work done and yakkin about stuff. The topic of mechs came around and I had mentioned my post and how I hadn't had time to log on lately to see if I had been asked to leave yet [;)]

The owner of this small neighborhood shop is a good friend of mine. Younger than me, but a more experienced bow hunter and a much better shot (dunno if that's a big accomplishment or not). He started the shop because of his love of the sport, to help people do it right, and to get gear cheap. In that order!

There isn't much of a varied inventory. Mostly just the gear he truly believes in. No joke, he doesn't care about selling something just because it is "popular." He has acquiesced and you will find a few packs of mechs on the wall. But everyone gets "the talk" before he lets them put their money down.

Then he reminds me of the bow kill he made a couple season ago. The skull mount hangs on the wall behind the counter. Nice buck.
He recounts how the deer walked calmly and slowly on his way through he woods past his stand, pausing to slurp up the odd beachnut. He remarked to me how he usually grunts to stop them but this deer was so relaxed he didn't want to change the deer's attitude for even the micro second it would take to punch the release. He put the pin squarely on the shoulder as the deer came around broadside, knowing that when he released, it should end up in the sweet spot right behind the shoulder crease.
Just as he tapped the trigger the deer just stopped cold.

The arrow hit the deer righ smack on top of the shoulder. And disappeared. He said the buck went down like it was hit with a slug.
When they opened him up he said both shoulders were splintered like a  slug would do. I think most of us when we slide into bed and night and we're alone with our thoughts, would admit that the mechanical blade in general is not designed for that kind of abuse.

Then he comes to the punchline. Something we all know intellectually but I think we forget sometimes. He says "when they're standing broadside and you hit them in the ribcage you can almost kill them with a sharp stick... but  * * it  happens that we can't control." And ya know, IMO he's absolutely right.

Bottom line- when things happen beyond my control, I need and want all the help I can get. To the mech fans, again no ill will from this end of the woods at all. God bless and a "Murphy free" hunt.

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting