decisions,decisions

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
bckklr

decisions,decisions

Postby bckklr » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:54 am

heres the deal just got a new mathews got it all set up other than my broadheads ive always shot muzzy primarily i went to nap spitfires for 2 seasons the 1st season i liked them but i only took 1 deer that season the 2nd season i shot 3 only recovered 1 all were what i thought to be good shots since then i have been all about muzzy & anti mechanical but now that i have my new set up ive been thinkin about the rage heads all i here is good things about them so i guess what i need from all you skilled archers on this forum is either convince me to swap to the rage or stick with the muzzys myself im torn & dont know what to do & thanx for the help
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

DeerCamp

RE: decisions,decisions

Postby DeerCamp » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:02 am

I had the same delma.. however I had three tp pick from, rage, muzzy, and grimm reaper. I went with the reapers becuz they went on sale at franks. I have heard good things about all 3.. I guess my choice came down to money. If I where you. Try the Rage's let me know how they work for ya, and youll never no how good they are tell you try em. Maybe they are better than muzzy's.. That was another deciding factor. I hadnt shot this head before so I tryed something new.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:23 am

I was shooting 3 blade 100 gr Muzzys a few years ago . No problem . I was using the Tekan II expandable until I found out they are illegal in NY ( they fly great ) . Went back to the Muzzy . This year I am going to try the 2 blade Rage expandables .

otwitw

Postby otwitw » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:02 pm

I have heard the lack of recovery with rage, but you watch on tv and see the devistation they leave. I dont know how that works, but not a thing wrong with muzzy yet! I am however shooting 2 blade rage this season to get a personal opinion. As of now i dont think there is anything better than muzzy but i will find out this season.
->>>----------->

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:20 pm

i was extremely anti-mechanical until they came out with the Rage. What i liked was the concept of the rear deploy blades as opposed to folding open from the front, like they all used to be. also, they are mechanical, i like to keep hunting set ups as simple as possible. i have shot NAP nitros, thunderheads, and G5 montecs, and muzzy 3 blades, all excellent heads.

then last year I shot the rage and will likely never go back. i did not get a pass through on the first deer i shot because i hit the inside of the far shoulder. i had a blood trail that a blind man could follow, from the entrance hole. i never had a blood trail of any kind from an entrance wound before. when i recovered the deer, in site of my stand, i could fit my fist inside the entrance hole. now, it was opened up a little from the deer running, but that broad head left a massive hole all on its own. i shoot the two blades, by the way.

im not a huge fan of the o-rings you need with the rage, but you can buy spares, which is nice because i usually break mine when i shoot, and they are really dependable. i dont worry about them opening in flight. the blades have a little notch that hook underneith the o-rings, unlike other mechanicals that use a rubber band wrapped around the outside of the entire set of blades to hold them closed. they also fly exactly like my practice tips, which is the biggest bonus for me. if i could tune my bow so perfectly that my fixed blades would fly just like my practice tips, i would stay with fixed blades for easy and simplicity. but myself and both my brothers use Rage and we love them, they really are great broad heads. i actually am yet to talk to anyone personally who has tried the rage and not loved them. its a mechanical, so there is always that slight chance something might fail, but i have shot them enough to feel confident in their performance.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:06 pm

I'm a fixed blade kind of guy.  Between me and my pro shop, we can usually get em to fly like field points.  If it were me, I'd stick with the ones I had the most success with.  If it aint broke, dont fix it.

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:09 am

Me = Rage 2-blade!

Arrow flight is scary accurate. [:D]
Entry wounds are horrific. [8D]
Exit wounds (about 50% of my kills) are even more horrific. [:-]
Durability is poor. [8|]
Cost is really poor.[:(]

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:37 am

never had a muzzy let me down
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Return to Archery and Bowhunting