Arrow Durability

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
mag30079

Arrow Durability

Postby mag30079 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:52 am

As my quest goes on for the perfect arrow I'm still not 100% satisfied. I started out with some less expensive Cabela's carbon arrows, still have a few for long shots that I not worried about breaking or loosing. I then bought some Parker super carbons I liked them alot but they quit making them. Last year I broke down and bought CX maxima hunters 350. The CX were more then I wanted to spend, but I thought they were the best from what people told me. Yesterday I broke 2 shooting 3d, ( no I didn't hit the metal in the shoulder ). The arrows broke about 6inches below the nock side ways. I suppose they may had a nick in them but I didn't notice anything. I thought carbon arrows were suppose to be super stong. I've seen the video of the carbon arrows blowing thru a cinder block.

Anyone have any good advise on durable arrows? I've been looking at the Gold tip and even have afew, or bemen, trophy ridge. The new CX kevlar are way more then I want to spend.

Thanks

mhouck06

RE: Arrow Durability

Postby mhouck06 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:51 am

I shoot the Easton ST Carbon Excel. They are one of the cheaper arrows made by Easton, got a dozen for $55, but they hold up great. ive hit the 2x4's holding up the hay bales at the archery club with them and had nothing happen, i shot at a ground hog once in my bag yard, over shot, hit a rock and watched the arrow fly into my fence.. going half way thru and not breaking. When I was looking for arrows I talked to a friend of mine who is a pro-staff shooter for a bowtech shop. out of all the arrows out there, he told me he has had best results with these as far as hunting and 3d's go. you cant beat the price either. if you are looking for something a little more durable, he did recomend to me the Easton Axis Full Metal Jacket arrows. They have a carbon core with a aluminum outside.. They still flex like a carbon arrow, but the aluminum makes them hold up a little better. the reason i did not go with those is they are a little heavier of an arrow, and they are a little over $100 for a dozen.

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:00 am

I forgot to mention, A friend of mine does shoot gold tips and swears by them.. ive never shot them, but ive seen him fling some arrows and they have help up well. Also one of my friends I shoot with in a field league took a shot at 70 yards with the ST Excel, (we only have pin sights, non adjustable for yardage.. his furthest pin was set for 40) he took the 70 yard shot anyway and undershot by about 10 hards, hitting a big rock laying in the shooting lane, we saw sparks and everything, thought the arrow must have blown into a million pieces, walked up and found the arrow perfect, only missing the knock. I am sure there are many other arrows out there that will hold up. Its all in what you want to spend and getting info from talking to people who shoot different kinds of arrows. Ive seen the ridiculously priced acc arrows blow up and ive had one of my excels hit a target dead on and splinter. I just know as far as the Excel's that we shoot, they are a fair price and hold up pretty well.

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:16 pm

If man made it, it will break. That said Gold Tip and Easton are probably the most durable arrows on the market.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:39 am

I use the Cabelas arrows.  I figure I'd rather spend $55 for arrows that work just fine as opposed to $100 for arrows that I doubt would work any better for me.  I'm not a good enough shooter that I could probably tell the difference.  The part of the arrow that always falls apart first on me is the fletching, and I doubt there would be much difference between the duravanes on the $55 arrow and the duravanes on the $100 arrow.

With the new shrinkflectch vanes, I've recycled probably 10 arrows this past summer.  They seem to work fine, I've noticed no difference in point of impact or arrow flight.  But like I said, I'm not a great shooter.

With me, I'm more likely to lose an arrow as opposed to break one. 

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:24 am

I've noticed alittle difference between my Cabels arrows and the CX but not much. Thoses Cabela arrows I've had for 5 years now, I only have a half dozen left but I've re-fletched them many times.
Has any one seen the video of the Trophy Ridge arrows, its impressive.

http://www.trophyridge.com/arrows/

mag30079

Postby mag30079 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:28 am

I'm also looking at the Easton, either the Carbon Excel, or the axis

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:43 pm

I shoot the Axis and am so far happy with them.  My father shoots something else (?) and is going to get them next as well.  I shoot 3-D targets also and so far no problems.  Hope it helps.

ARROWSMITH

Postby ARROWSMITH » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:08 pm

I believe Gold Tip is the absolute best bang peroid not only for the money but all around.  I have shot Gold Tips for over 6 years most of mine are either trophys on the wall or lost in God knows where land.  However I still have and still shoot to this day one of the original half dozen I first purchased (in the spring of 2002).  Its has been shot thousands of times refleched dozens of times and I once shot it through a 55 gal steel drum, and when I most recently refleched it, I weighed it against some of my new ones and it was within 5 grains of the new arrow weight. so when I say these things are tough I speak from experiance. GET THE GOLD TIPS!

Return to Archery and Bowhunting