Arrow fligh

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
E man

Arrow fligh

Postby E man » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:19 pm

I shoot Muzzy 100 gr but my broadheads shoot about 6 inches lower than 100 gr field tips. I've settled to only practicing with the broadheads. Any suggestions on getting the bow tuned to shooting the same with both?

E man

RE: Arrow fligh

Postby E man » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:21 pm

Uh, that was supposed to read Arrow Flight

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:29 pm

Lose the Muzzy's... Just kidding.

Is the left /right impact the same? If so, try lowering your nock point 1/16th of an inch. It sounds like you are shooting a bit nock high with the muzzys.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:31 pm

ORIGINAL: Highlander Archery

Lose the Muzzy's... Just kidding.

Is the left /right impact the same? If so, try lowering your nock point 1/16th of an inch. It sounds like you are shooting a bit nock high with the muzzys.

Smartypants!  You've got ALL the answers, don't you?  (I'm just P.O.ed because you beat me to this one!)
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

E man

Postby E man » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:37 pm

Dudes, thanks! I'll give it a try. Left/Right is fine.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:26 pm

I`ve read that the point of impact can be made the same for field tips and broadheads-although, I`ve never found a bow shop owner who said it was possible.

It would be fantastic to be able to achieve this, but I get the feeling it`s the Holy Grail of bow hunting. The idea is out there, but it doesn`t really exist.

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:40 pm

ORIGINAL: hunter480

I`ve read that the point of impact can be made the same for field tips and broadheads-although, I`ve never found a bow shop owner who said it was possible.

It would be fantastic to be able to achieve this, but I get the feeling it`s the Holy Grail of bow hunting. The idea is out there, but it doesn`t really exist.

It is very possible to make it happen but the human factor usually screws that up. Factor in wind effects and it becomes much more difficult to isolate the problems. Usually, with fixed blade broadheads the angle they leave the bow tends to be the direction they fly, remeber instead of one set of contro surfaces you now have 2 and they fight for control if out of kilter even slightly.

ARROWSMITH

Postby ARROWSMITH » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:10 pm

ORIGINAL: hunter480

If this is the holy grail then come see me, I'm holding it.  Fact of the matter is Iam a shop owner, and I tune bows all the time to shoot the same with or without broadheads. It's not easy and it definately takes several shots down range and trips back into the shop to make adjustments to tune a bow perfectly, however a perfectly tuned bow will shoot the same with or without a broadhead.  Most bow shop owners/operators won't take the time to do this,  they will give you a quick bench set up and send you on your way.  Note: about the Muzzy's, I would find a better broadhead than those.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:51 pm

Mine shoot the same, or so close that it doesn't matter.  The shop I bought it at set it all up for me.  I made very small adjustments to my pins, really nothing more than I do every year, and touched the bow, not at all.  I dont think this is the holy grail.  The bow I owned previously was set up by the same shop and it shot both heads the same as well.  Maybe you should take it to someone else to tune it for ya.

ARROWSMITH

Postby ARROWSMITH » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:05 pm

ORIGINAL: danesdad

Mine shoot the same, or so close that it doesn't matter.  The shop I bought it at set it all up for me.  I made very small adjustments to my pins, really nothing more than I do every year, and touched the bow, not at all.  I dont think this is the holy grail.  The bow I owned previously was set up by the same shop and it shot both heads the same as well.  Maybe you should take it to someone else to tune it for ya.

Sounds like you've got a good bow shop. I'd keep going there and tell my friends.

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting