few questions

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
fireflyparamedic

few questions

Postby fireflyparamedic » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:48 am

Alright since I'm new to bowhunting I have a few questions. 1) what is brace height. 2) what is the back bone as it is referred to in review columns. 3) when shooting from a tree stand the angle of the shot is not true with the distance from the ground to the object what do you do for pin placement. I know you can buy the new range finders with the feature of " ARC " but I don't have a range finder yet so do you guys in the forum have suggestions. thanks again
fireflyparamedic

mhouck06

RE: few questions

Postby mhouck06 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:08 am

if you look at a bow.. the little bar with the cable slide, the distance from the handle to there is the brace height. a longer brace height is said to give more shot forgiveness when you torque a bow. although, i went from an 8 inch brace height to 6 inch and have no noticed much difference. im not really sure what the back bone is refering to, and as far as the angle of a shot.. there is not much need for a range finder with arc, unless you are shooting some extreme angles or a slower bow.. you can figure it out with a simple calculation..

heres a comment i posted to someone else when asking about a range finder

Image RE: rangefinders - 7/18/2008 9:51:11 AM   

showPicture("7/18/2008 9:51:11 AM",0,0,0,1751,17)

mhouck06

titleAndStar(108,0,false,false,"","")

[align=center] [/align]
someone else had a post like this about a month or so ago.. heres what i told them

[font="times new roman"]its not worth getting the range finder.. if you measure off around your stand all you need to do it shoot that distance.. the distance from the base of your tree to the target, no matter how high you are, it works. if you dont trust that.. a simple math equation will do the trick.[/font]
[font="times new roman"]A^2+B^2=C^2  [/font]
[font="times new roman"][/font]

[font="times new roman"]just take ur stand height as A in feet, ground distance as B make sure if its 30 yards you enter 90 feet and then add them together.. take the square root of the sum and then divide that by 3 to get ur distance from stand to ground[/font]
[font="times new roman"]ex. 20ft stand. ground distance, 30 yards[/font]
[font="times new roman"]
[size=100][font="times new roman"]20^2+90^2=8500 [/font]

square root of 8500 = 92.195 ft.

92.195 / 3 = 30.7 yards [/size][/font]
[font="times new roman"]as you can see, the difference is only minimal and would be hardly noticeable if you took that shot for 30.

[/font]

ARROWSMITH

Postby ARROWSMITH » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:05 pm

Okay the brace height is the distance from the point on the riser just above the grip (some will call it the tray trough etc..) to the string on an undrawn bow.  

Back bone I don't think I've ever heard of, however if you meant back wall this refers to how solid the bow feels at full draw i.e. if you are at full draw and you can still manage to pull the bow back some a bow is said to have a soft back wall. If you hit full draw and the bow feels solid i.e. it can't be drawn any further, the bow is said to have a soild back wall.  A solid back wall is desirable to insure consistant shooting. 

As far as a range finder goes, if you don't have one and your are going to purchase one I would suggest one with ARC or simular type tech. as archery may not be is only use.  For the purpose of most archers using modern equipment of 220 fps or more (any new compound with a draw weight of 55 or more pounds or more should shoot that fast) and consdering that most archers don't try to take an animal more that 30 yards the change in distance isn't going to affect your shot that much. I have personally tested this with bows that shot 260 and 280 and was still on the mark.

Hope this was helpful.[:)]

trapperDave

Postby trapperDave » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:40 pm

Brace hgt is measured from the deepest part of the grip to the string.
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

ARROWSMITH

Postby ARROWSMITH » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:29 pm

I stand corrected.

gard73

Postby gard73 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:33 am

Bakbone might have to do with the stiffness of the arrow. Only thing I can think of.

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:54 pm

I put up a question on the ARC rangefinder awhile back.  What I learned after buying it and using it is that my bow shoots flat enough to 40 yards that my shots do not change from the ground to 20 feet up the tree.  The rangefinder only changes the shot by 1 yard, and i aim the same.  It is nice and easy to range trees, etc., if you change stand locations as often as I do with my climmer, but you will not need to spend the money if you don't want to.  I bought mine because my dad wants to do an elk hunt next year and he won't be able to do this much longer, and we live in Ohio.  It will be much more useful in new terrain and for long range rifle use later.  I like mine, but it is not necessary.  Good luck.  Panman

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:59 pm

Brace height has been answered, backbone is actually static spine of the arrow or how much the arrow bends when a weight is hung in the center while supported at 2 points 28 inches apart.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:55 am

Here is a link that is very helpful. At the bottom there are even more links with more information.
Lots of reading, but informative

http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm#axle
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:18 am

ORIGINAL: fireflyparamedic

Alright since I'm new to bowhunting I have a few questions. 1) what is brace height. 2) what is the back bone as it is referred to in review columns. 3) when shooting from a tree stand the angle of the shot is not true with the distance from the ground to the object what do you do for pin placement. I know you can buy the new range finders with the feature of " ARC " but I don't have a range finder yet so do you guys in the forum have suggestions. thanks again
fireflyparamedic

Brace height is the distance from the handle (the side you place your hand against) to the bowstring.

If you are shooting at an angle, either up or down, you will tend to shoot high.  So place your pin a little low.  If the angle is not that great just shoot your pin.

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting