Pass Through

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Lot to Learn

Pass Through

Postby Lot to Learn » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:02 am

Just reading the discussion on fixed vs mechanical and made me think to ask this. Last year shot 3 deer no pass through on any. The shot that concerned me was a max 15 yd shot, probably closer to 10yd , through the center of heart. The arrow did come out about 3 inches but that was it. I was using Reflex grizzly, 60lbs roughly, aluminum 2115 game getters and spitfires. I was using thunderheads and spitfires, but pretty sure this shot was with the spitfire. I traded the bow in last week, but shot it for speed 1st and it was around 240 fps with the set up mentioned. Why wouldn't I get a pass through??

JPH

RE: Pass Through

Postby JPH » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:10 am

Because you were using a spitfire.

If you look at the design, it has to work against itself in order to expand. While I have never used them myself, I understand pass-through shots to very rare with them, regardless of the tackle you are shooting.

Personally, I use the Rage, which is a rear-opening mechanical. I have about 50% pass-through success and hope to improve that by moving to carbons this year.

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:31 am

Maybe on the spitfires, I didn't mention this, but I was on the ground when I  made this shot. I would think a rock would have had pass through. Pretty sure I have solved my problem, got a Bowtech Airborne 101 shooting goldtip xt hunter 5575 and I will be using the 2" rage this year. Scary fast. They sold my sight at a shoot and had to order a new one, so I haven't sighted anything but my 20 yd on the temp sight, but maybe an 1" drop at 30yd and about 8" drop at 40yd using the 20yd pin.

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:29 pm

Yeah, go with smaller diameter carbon arrows... guaranteed better penetration.

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:33 pm

Oh man, I didnt see your last post... You're gonna smoke 'em with that setup... Seriously, problem solved! How you like the Airborne? Where do you hunt at in Greene Co.? I'm in Jersey Co., close to Eldred and Fieldon.

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:38 pm

Vambo,  I am in White Hall, I hunt couple places just outside of town and a farm north of Greenfield. Think I am picking up a really sweet spot, doing some remodeling for a couple that have a awesome place, haven't asked yet but ....   The airborne is incredible. I am trying to remember if I have been bow hunting for 3 or 4 years, either way not that long. So I am no expert, but this bow is incredible. I still don't have my site yet so still stuck just shooting the 20 yd pin. 

Seriously still wanting to know what the deal was with my old set up.  I really liked the bow, it fit me great and was balls on accurate.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:13 am

Lot to learn ...by far no expert ...been bow hunting ten years but I'm a basic person if it works don't change it....I shoot a hoyt raider/intruder at 51#.....instinctive..but started out shooting a 45# bear recurve and the arrow that my old timer bow guy set me up with was a 2115 game getter because it was a light arrow for a light bow...least thats what he told me....few pass thru's but with the arrow smacking the trees the never went more than a hundred yrds and lots of blood......Weather you go to carbon...which I did and then switched back or stay with game getters ...you may do well to increase your arrow wieght...I'm now shooting 2117 and it slices straight thru at 20 yrds... Just saying you may want to check that angle out.....good luck

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:17 am

i would speculate that the spitfires were your culprit. im shooting a grizzly at 65lbs and 25" draw. shooting a 26" 400 axis shaft tipped w/100 grain muzzy 3 blades. complete pass through shots are no problem at all.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Return to Archery and Bowhunting