fishtailing

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
JOEL

fishtailing

Postby JOEL » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:24 pm

okay i just got my bow restrung and cabled.i added a d loop and im trying to get back into the swing.i noticed my arrows seem to fishtail off the string .im hitting where im aiming its just they fishtail.i shortened up the release and that brought me back to my original anchor point,that helped.is there a break in period?am i just out of "form"?any ideas ?
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

DeerCamp

RE: fishtailing

Postby DeerCamp » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:45 pm

take it back to where u got it and ask em.. 
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

ARROWSMITH

Postby ARROWSMITH » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:00 pm

Other than in extreme cases of gripping the bow fishtailing is a tuning matter.  There is a couple of ways to solve this: one have a buddy whatch the arrow when you shoot it to see which way it goes first, left or right, two: use paper. ( I prefer the buddy method because the paper may catch the second wag and point you in the wrong direction, but if your alone you can do this.) If the tail of the arrow is first seen going to the left then move your arrow rest to follow it, and the same if it goes to the right. Move the arrow rest in small incriments until the fishtailing is gone.  If you own a bow vise let me know and I can tell you how to get all but the smallest deviations out of the bow while in the vise. Also be sure that your fletchings are not coming into contact with anything.  Alot of people are switching to blazers and don't realize this my require a new bow set up, or they just can't shoot them due to riser clearance.  Good luck.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:10 pm

thanks arrowsmith i'm going to try and paper tune it tomorrow.i had a feeling i was the rest.i had to move my sights too before the change it was dead on after it was shooting high and to the left.i was shooting straight fletch and helical and the helical definately shot better..I never paper tuned a bow before but have seen articles on it .do you know of any links or can ya can ya give me some pointers please?thanks oh yeah no vise
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:25 am

well it seems my sights were off and it was my form.I shoot bymyself most of the time and i guess with all those people watching me at the range i wasnt taking my time and doing things right.once i resighted her in i was drilling the center of the spots at will.

ARROWSMITH

Postby ARROWSMITH » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:26 pm

Joel I'm glad to see you got it all worked out,however I did mislead you and anyone else who would view this [:@].  I've been bench tuning bows so long I forgot how to tune one off the bench and I went back to the books and did some research and found that you would not follow the deviation of the arrow, but counter it if your adjusting your arrow rest to compensate for fishtailing.  That is to say that if you are first fishtailing to the right you would move your rest to the left and so on.  Only in some extreme cases of malalignment would you need to go in the same direction.

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:51 am

thats okay i didnt mess with the rest,thanks for the calls  the other night

Return to Archery and Bowhunting