Hunting a Scrape Line?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
GTOHunter

Hunting a Scrape Line?

Postby GTOHunter » Mon May 19, 2008 4:31 pm

Anyone here have any luck hunting close to a Bucks Scrape Line?I was thinking about getting one of those Day Time Drippers to use this coming Archery Season to draw a Buck out in the early morning or late evenings where he has been making a Scrape Line along several over-hanging licking branches on the back side of our Farm.The Buck seems to be coming out from the adjacent woods and crossing the old logging road and then making his way down the tree line along our CRP field edge!

DeerCamp

RE: Hunting a Scrape Line?

Postby DeerCamp » Mon May 19, 2008 5:18 pm

from what i hear they are worth hunting. i myself have hunted them before with no luck on filling my tag. however i did see a buck come by, he checked out one scrape and then walked about 40 yards and made another, he then walked out of site. it was early morning and it was very hard to see him still. i have had a few buddies that hunt them as well. they dont use anything like that dripper but they do put doe pee in it. my one friend has had good luck doing that. hope ya get him.

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Tue May 20, 2008 12:09 pm

I saw a great show about hunting them.  The guy wore rubber gloves and boots to stay scent-free and used a stick to make his own scrape where he could get a clear shot at a mature buck using the line.  Don't remember for sure, but I think he used a few drops of buck scent and 1/2 bottle of doe.  Might be the other way around.  They did not show the hunt so I don't know how it went.  Good luck with it, Panman

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Tue May 20, 2008 5:24 pm

a scrapeline is just one piece of the deer puzzle.if ya find a good one chances are it will be used year in year out .i hunt near them not on them.and those scent drippers do work and if you make a good mock scrape under it even better.i use em and i always find tracks in them,it does a good job of keeping them in the area.once the real does go into heat all bets are off
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

RNC

Postby RNC » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:30 am

I have tried scrape lines and used a dripper on them. I can say I only ever saw 1 buck and he was a good one come into the dripper during the day. I have had scrapes hit during the night after the dripper has run all day but just the one incident during the day. I have had much better luck hunting rub lines. Check out Greg Miller's book Rub Line Secrets. I dont buy everything that is said in the book but I have seen more and better bucks since I had paid more attention to rubs.

hunting GA

Postby hunting GA » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:20 am

scrape lines are good to hunt, but you need to be able to sit on them for at least 3 days because of how the bucks frequent them. if you can find rubs and scrapes together you should have the best luck there. last year I found a good scrape and rub line on the very edge of a bedding area, I did not hunt there until Nov. 9th , I had a good 11-point come in grunting just befor dark. I shot him then 5 min. later another 10-point came in from another direction. keep in mind the differance between your boundry scrapes and others. some scrapes in feeding areas will be made by a buck who feels a threat from another buck in the area but will not be refreshed again making them a waste of time to humt

Bobcat264

Postby Bobcat264 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:00 pm

I've had great success hunting scape lines!  Finding the true breeding scrape lines is the key.  These will be where the deer feel comfortable traveling and many times they are found in the thick stuff or areas where the scent won't dry out too soon either (riverbottoms, swampy areas, near creeks). Most of these areas are quite thick.
A mature buck will check these from as far downwind as possible, so place your stand accordingly.  I usually hang at least two stand for each ambush point I plan to hunt.  One for each wind direction.  If the wind doesn't cooperate, I DO NOT HUNT THE STAND!  This is very, very important.
I can go on forever, but that is the basics.  Hope this helps.

Bobcat 

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:28 pm

I use drippers, they draw bucks in between 10am in the morning and noon. The drippers also really turn on doe's to mock scrapes. Once that happens you can see bucks anytime during the day if you rattle. If the buck thinks doe's are in the area , he will be in for a daylight spot n sniff if he can't locate the doe's at night. Once the buck makes a competeing scrape you have to hunt on it until he checks it again.  I recommend cutting a real scrapes communal branch and wireing it over your mock as well. I have heard of digging the dirt in a scrape and placing it in a bag to spread on your mock scrape, but haven't tried it yet.  I have seen many bucks check my mock scrapes near a doe bedding area. WLRC will send you a book on making and hunting mock scrapes for free if you ask them. 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:51 am

As far as my experiance ...Bobcats right on the money....and with rub lines here...and I don't know why the big bucks don't start making good rubs until near the end of reg gun season...late Nov.....young buck I see rubbing the sapplings earlier.....

bckklr

Postby bckklr » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:52 am

when using a dripper with a mock scrape bury one of those hs rut n buck wafers in the ground it will drive them crazy if you can hook it to an underground root i've had them dig them up before
adapt & overcome

hoosierhuntercustomcalls.com

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting