looking to get a new.....

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
msbadger

RE: looking to get a new.....

Postby msbadger » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:54 pm

Well I hit Gander before the doors opened today...had a very early Dr's apnt. this a.m....so a rep. and I discussed my situation...he rolled his eyes...said I was stubborn like his girl friend and grabbed a diamond razor edge..I liked the feel of..... and a couple of arrows and the thumb release he didn't want me to get....off to the target range ....I was shooting too short an arrow and sighting over a bisket type rest and well guess what?...I'm not really a 28" draw like my old timer Hoyt guy set me up as.......26 1/2 to 27"....Wow with a release ..I had NO anchor point and was having a hard time hitting release from behind my ear....but he had a 28" draw diamond ...I consistently shot dead center high...and the farther back he had me go the higher I shot...which he didn't under stand...I knew...because I aim down the arrow and I have to have full length arrows to keep my shots low at the proper anchor point......I'm actually surprised I hit the target at all and I joined the ceiling beam crowd[&:]...lol...at 15yrds I hit the bulls eye once...he showed me how to properly use a wrist release..so I'll buy a bow then decide on the release...for I have a wrist type I couldn't use

Please give me honest reviews of Diamond bows...I like that it was a tad smaller than the stinger and Wow was it fast...also with impressed that I stayed center consistently ...with out being properly set up

Lots more testing to do...Thanks guys...Ohh I have a new part time job to get the funds for my bow...so budgets a tad better...do know... it has to have a fatter cushioned grip...don't like the new skinny hard grips

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:10 pm

Msbadger for what its worth ,,,,,, I went through the same thing a couple years ago looking for my first bow. I went to Gander and learned plenty from an old timer in there working part time. I shot Browning, Diamond, Martin and came back to the Stinger. When came time to make the purchased the young manager couldn’t set my draw length right so I wouldn’t take it. When I got home I called PSE in Texas and talked to a tech. Great service and he gave me an education. I then went to my local sport shop (under new manage.) and got the whole package with arrows cheaper than at Gander. Been real happy with it and my son bought one just like it.[:)]

bowboxer

Postby bowboxer » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:37 pm

hey what price range are you looking at. if you look at the ibo speed on the bows hoyt are true ibo speed.see who has the best warranty on the bow. you must check out the quest bows they are great i love dartons and hoyts.but the quest really are great. just shot every bow you can.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:58 pm

Well I ordered my bow today...and I went with the Mission Venture...she'll be coming in in 2wks...giving me practice time before turkey season[;)]

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:17 pm

ORIGINAL: msbadger

Well I ordered my bow today...and I went with the Mission Venture...she'll be coming in in 2wks...giving me practice time before turkey season[;)]

Good choice! If I were to get a new bow, I'd go with Mission.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:23 am

Thanks Patriot....amazing how well balanced and quiet it is and compared to my old one wow fast[:)]....Having the QAD pro hunter HD put on it...hope to be shooting well enough to get a turkey this spring[;)]

Thanks to everyone that offered advise...Happy Hunting 

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:21 pm

Got the call and pic up the new Venture later this week to set up...It's going to be tricky....the shoulder is still about 60% and I don't want to mess it up...will have them set it at lowest and then just in crease the #'s over the rest of spring to hopefully full 50# by summers end...that will give me a month of hunting draw weight practice before deer season....I can hardly wait!![:D]

elliot921129

Postby elliot921129 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:48 pm

Msbadger... I am a college student and on a budget but I just bought the new Hoyt Rampage and I am in love with it. Took me a little time to get it set up but it shoots fast and acurate.... but nevermind I just realized you already ordered the Mission[&:]. Good luck!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:18 am

Thanks all and elliot...Thank you...Yes I did and still do luv my old Hoyt and did check out the new ones ...but just didn't get a feel for their new riser design...hoping that the Mission will last as long as the Hoyt did...and they have a good warranty....Now if my shoulder would co-operate and last another 20yrs....problem is ..it's already 53yrs old ...dang near antique...lol[;)]

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:05 pm

Well I picked her up and we set her at 40#'s...my stomache was doing flips...so afraid to draw her back but gotter done[;)]...which is the only thing this shoulder did today....one customer said ...hey she didn't blow out her shoulder!good to go....I will shoot 1 arrow 2x's a week and then build up from there...not taking any chance...hope to be back to 50#'s by end of summer...hers a pic

PreviousNext

Return to Archery and Bowhunting