Hunting with a Crossbow

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
bowman25

Hunting with a Crossbow

Postby bowman25 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:04 pm

I've been hunting PA since I was 12.  I'm 25 now and I admit there was a lapse in time out in the woods for me that lasted at least 6 years.  Last year was my first time back in the woods, hunting, and I'm ready for 2011 to be another great season. 

I saw a few deer and had a few chances...with my crossbow.

It was noticeable to my dad that the meds I take make me shaky and unable to shoot a compound or traditional bow with the accuracy needed.

More will be said later...just wanted some of your thoughts.
I'll share the harvest

Woods Walker

RE: Hunting with a Crossbow

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:49 pm

My thoughts? You're IN THE WOODS, and YOU'RE HUNTING!

GOOD FOR YOU! I wish you all the success in the world! Learn your chosen weapon to the best of your ability, and take only high percentage shots. Please keep us posted on how you do.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Dan Schmidt

Postby Dan Schmidt » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:49 pm

I will second Woods Walker's comments! Major congrats, Bowman! And welcome to the DDH Forums. We're glad to have you here.

My best,
Daniel E. Schmidt, Editor, Deer & Deer Hunting

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:22 pm

Crossbows are lots of fun to shoot. Practice everything. Hope you have fun with it this fall.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:40 pm

Hey...if You have Medical Problems and Hunting with a Crossbow is Doctor approved then more power to You,stay out in the woods hunting no matter what and enjoy it.I'm all for Crossbows and some day if it ever happens where I can't hunt with a Compound Bow I will get a permit from my Doctor.A few years ago I had my shoulder operated on and was going to get a 6 months Crossbow Permit but luckily I did very well and recovered pretty fast after the surgery and lots of Physical Therapy helped me out and I had a newer Bow that I had the draw weight turned down and it had more let-off since it was a newer/better Bow!

riverrat

Postby riverrat » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:16 pm

Welcome bowman25!  I also hunt with a crossbow after becoming disabled in 02 with neck problems. I just got it last year and it’s great because it extends my season. I mainly hunted it from my pop-up ground blind and had deer within 10 yards but does w/fawns or yearlings so I haven’t harvested anything yet. You should consider getting a set of shooting sticks. I use them in my ground blind and they help a lot. I have the bi-sticks and I set them up to the height I think is right then rest the butt in my lap, then all I have to do is raise the butt to my shoulder and I’m on. This should help with the shaking, it helps me. Practice, practice, practice so when the time comes you will be ready! Good luck!

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:07 pm

@bowman 25- welcome back to hunting...i hope it becomes the therapy for your soul that is to me. Wether your ''shakiness'' is a by product of the meds or if you have a serious ailment going on...god bles ya..stay positive and again welcome back to hunting.--[:)]

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:16 pm

If you've got a tremor, whatever the reason,  you picked a good tool to be working with, the crossbow.  Now all you have to do is figure out how to operate it with a rest.

In a raised stand, just make sure you get a stand with a shooting rail.

On the ground, look into some sort of shooting stick.

You'll do fine.

BTW:  Dont' take any guff from guys that call crossbow a lousy way to take deer.  It's perfectly legit.  I was a compound bow hunter for 25 years and had to give it up, because my shoulder went bad.  I switched to a crossbow, and documented the transformation on this forum  Crossbow really is not my cup of tea, but it is not the unfair advantage that some would make it out to be.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

krawiech

Postby krawiech » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:19 am

horton makes a brace for crossbow hunting it fits over your knee and is adjustable in height on the top is a cradle that holds your crossbow it takes a lot of the weight off of your arms im been hunting with a crossbow over 8 years now due to physical limitations go to horton website to see a picture of this helper hank k

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:26 pm

bowman25.....my thoughts are simply this.....God bless you man, and so glad to hear you`re hunting......

Forget anyone who chastices crossbows for hunting.......who cares? You`re in the woods, you`re chasing white-tails, and you`re doing what all of us love........congratulations dude.....
Greg Russell

The Second Amendment, America`s Original Homeland Security

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting