Hunting with a Crossbow

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
MRHunter

RE: Hunting with a Crossbow

Postby MRHunter » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:04 am

bowman25: Glad your back hunting. I am also a crossbow hunter (2 years). I have been hunting for 33 years and just started archery hunting. I chose a crossbow due to my occational problems with herniated discs. I prefer hunting on the ground than a tree. For some reason I feel too confined in a tree stand. My wife tells me that hunting is cheaper than "therapy". There is nothing like being in the woods during the fall seaon.

Anyway.. Welcome back to hunting.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:27 am

You are out there, pursuing your passion in a legal and ethical way. Why does it matter what I think? As long as you are enjoying it, I say have at it. If you got any hotspots you wanna share, send me a PM.[:)]
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

retch sweeny

Postby retch sweeny » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:20 pm

Congrats to you. Enjoy your time in the woods.

Tim50

Postby Tim50 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:01 pm

ORIGINAL: retch sweeny

Congrats to you. Enjoy your time in the woods.

As long as it's NOT the Wisconsin woods??? Would this fellow hunter have any optons if he lived in WI? This is the fellow hunter the WBH & their lawers & lobbyists are fighting to "keep out of the woods" in WI! In Pennsylvania and a growing number of states the crossbow has been shown to be a viable option for fellow hunters. And it has not impacted the resource or any hunting seasons! Congrats to you Bowman25 being back in the Pennsylvania woods. A weapon should not define a hunter it's in his/her heart!!!

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:08 pm

That is awesome to be back in the woods!

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:11 pm

Tim,

I agree with you crossbow hunters have not messed up anything in pa environmentaly. The thing it did to is get people back into the sport, the reason why this thread was made!

Tim50

Postby Tim50 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:22 pm

ORIGINAL: bmstaaf

Tim,

I agree with you crossbow hunters have not messed up anything in pa environmentaly. The thing it did to is get people back into the sport, the reason why this thread was made!

And in my opinion THAT's a good thing!!

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:36 am

I was thinking the same thing Tim after reading RS's comment.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Cut N Run

Re: Hunting with a Crossbow

Postby Cut N Run » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:38 am

Good for you to be able to get in the deer woods again. I had a forced layoff from bowhunting of 4 years due to a bad vehicle crash I was in. Two shoulder surgeries didn't fix the problem either. I too, am not the steadiest when it comes to shooting a crossbow, but since I started using a rest it helped incredibly. I took one buck and 2 does with my crossbow last Fall. All three were shot through the heart and none went 50 yards.

Get yourself a good rest and make sure you get in lots of practice from normal stand heights so when the shot presents itself, you can pick your spot. Good luck.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting