need advice

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
bowboxer

need advice

Postby bowboxer » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:37 am

guy's and gal's please help.my bow shoots great but check this out.i can shoot 20,25,30, yards and shoot dead on but when i shoot 40 yards i hit to the right about 4 inches.i move my sight barcket were i could shoot 40 yards and hit dead on at 40.but then my 20,25 and 30 hit left.what is going on.this has been going on for about two years.i just can't get it shooting straight.

Ifishandhunt

RE: need advice

Postby Ifishandhunt » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:48 am

Great question...
I have the same problem with my PSE Whitetail Compund Bow and never figured out why. I generally don't get many 40 yard shots, but it would be nice to hit consistent on 20, 30, 35 and 40. My only solution was to manually adjust for it, meaning when I practice the 40 yard shot, I just move my arm so the pin is off the mark to compensate for the 4 or so inches I know will be off. I hope you get some responses here so we both can try out suggestions.

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:49 am

I had the same kind of issue with a bow a couple years ago. As it turned out, my bow was just not a good bow. Not necessarily the the brand or model, I just had a bumb bow. I couldn't shoot past 40 yards to save my life, and even that was touch and go. Bought a new bow, and right out of the gates could shoot 60 yards without a problem, and have never had that problem since. Right now, my max range, keeping all arrows within an 8 inch pie plate, is 100 yards. I don't hunt at that distance, but practice there.

Theres really only two things that would go wrong: your equipment, or your shooting form. My first step would be to rule out an equipment failure. Find someone who can shoot great with their own equipment, and take the time to have your bow set up for your buddy. Let your buddy shoot it, and if he has the same issues, then you know there's an equipment failure. If your buddy shoots it just fine, then you know the problem is shooter error. There are a thousand things that can go wrong with a shooter's form, so if it's shooter error, that can be a process. But, you can't fight the problem if you dont know with side to attack. That's my suggestion, someone may have an easier one, but it's what I would do. In fact, I have done that in the past with my brother, because he was having issues with his bow. Turned out that time that he just needed to adjust his form. Hiccups in your form can be very easily covered up or missed at 30 yards or less, then take a dramatic leap just 10 yards later, so consider everything, and good luck.

Stickman

Postby Stickman » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:13 pm

Bow torque and movement in your arm is the problem. I use to have the same problem it would only show up at longer yardage. It helps to keep your eye on the target all the way through the shot and hold steady.
If you can find it you can kill it.

Randy3003

Postby Randy3003 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:36 pm

ANOTHER POSSIBILITY HAPPENED TO ME WITH A BRAND NEW SIGHT.  One of the pins was for a different sight, and was just a little shorter than the others.  I didn't notice it until I was completely frustrated.  Also you may want to check and make sure that your 40 yard pin isn't bent, or that little washer on adjustment screw didn't sink into adjustment slot causing it to be just a little shorter.  Just a little bit makes a lot of difference at 40 yards.  But it sounds to me as if it's a problem with your 40 yard pin.  If it was a problem with you stance, draw, ect it would be gradual all the way out, providing your arrow spine matches your draw weight and bow.
One well placed arrow can save a lot of unnecessary exercise

nebrbuckhunter

Postby nebrbuckhunter » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:12 am

after you have matched spine with draw weight and length don't forget your rest position. Put some arrows through paper to find your proper nock and rest position. A gradual drift in arrow flight can be a simple rest alignment issue. Less noticeable at shorter distance is common. Don't be afraid to shoot longer distances to help tune your bow and help keep consistant form.
Bowtech pro-staff member
Proud father and happy husband
get busy livin!

bowboxer

Postby bowboxer » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:04 am

my arrow lenght and spine match to what i am such have.if i was torquing the bow it looks like i would still be missing the target at 40's after i sight in for 40 yards.i am not to proud to say it could be my form.i have paper tune the arrows and they seem fine.what else is it the bow.

pman

Postby pman » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:03 pm

How about trying a walkback tune.... your rest may need to move a little bit.. Try this link. http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=377004&highlight=walk+back+tuning

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:16 am

ORIGINAL: Stickman

Bow torque and movement in your arm is the problem. I use to have the same problem it would only show up at longer yardage. It helps to keep your eye on the target all the way through the shot and hold steady.

I think you hit it headon.  If the bow is perfectly tuned, it probably has to do with your form and how you approach long versus shorter shots.  Try to be consistent.  If you think you are already, have someone that also hunts and shoots bow watch you and see if they can find any inconsistencies.
QDM!

bowboxer

Postby bowboxer » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:36 am

baskward step tuning work.bow wasn't center right.

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting