replacing strings and cables

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
JFry1969

replacing strings and cables

Postby JFry1969 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:09 pm

Ive got a Bowtech Old Glory. Its 6 yrs old and I bought it new but I have never replaced the strings and cables. The dealer I bought it from closed his doors last year and the closest BT dealer to me is 50miles away. I talked to the local proshop who only deals Mathews and they said they could put Zebra string and cables on it.
I guess my question is -- should I go with the Zebra at the local shop or would it be in my best interest to drive the xtra miles and have Bowtech cables and strings put back on? The price is about the same its just a matter of convenience and not knowing the BT dealer. What do you all think I should do or is there a better replacement set that you would recommend? $150 is what I was qouted at the local shop and I would like to stay in that range. Thanks for your help!

JFry1969

RE: replacing strings and cables

Postby JFry1969 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:16 pm

Sorry guys, I didnt see the other post on strings and cables before I posted this one. SO -- with that said, I guess most of you would recommend BT string and cables for me also, but I would still appreciate any feedback.

MoBowman

Postby MoBowman » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:24 pm

Frankly I would buy custom strings usually as cheap of cheaper than factory strings. Regardless of what many have said, I doubt you will find many Pro archers or those that shoot alot of tourny's actually useing FACTORY strings. Do a bit of internet searching and you will find out quickly that factory is not always the best for your money.
Hunt Hard, Hunt Safe, Pass it on
www.Missouriwhitetails.com

wisbooner3932

Postby wisbooner3932 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:08 pm

Take it from me, don't use Zebra strings!!!  Check out my thread on the general forum (http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=94366).  I did a bunch of research and found that most people either recomend Winner's Choice or Vapor Trails.  I actually just ordered a set of Vapor Trails not even an hour ago and the total was $82.  From what I read, Winner's Choice and Vapor Trail's seem to be about equal but Winner's Choice will cost you well over $100 so I went with the Vapor Trails.   
You can take my gun, from my cold dead hands.

MoBowman

Postby MoBowman » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:44 pm

If you bought them from Vapor Trail and ordered them today, mark my words, you will have them by Thursday, Friday at the latest. You won't be sorry they are some great strings and there will be no string streatch.
Hunt Hard, Hunt Safe, Pass it on
www.Missouriwhitetails.com

Return to Archery and Bowhunting