Target Panic

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
DoeEyed

Target Panic

Postby DoeEyed » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:09 pm

My bow was sounding extremely loud so I took it in to the pro shop today.

They watched me shoot and told me I have target panic. I was hitting the trigger as soon as the pin was on the target and letting down at the same time(??) causing the string to hit the stringstop at a goofy angle.

He made me draw, set my thumb lightly on the trigger( without setting it off) and push my shoulders together (while "pulling the bow apart") til it put enough pressure on my thumb to set off the release. In other words I learned what back tension release is and boy that was a bit of an eye opener.

Now I must practice practice practice not hitting the trigger immediately and first settle into my shot. I REALLY have to think about what I'm doing.

Has anyone else had to deal with target panic and retrain yourself to shoot? 
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jslotter

RE: Target Panic

Postby Jslotter » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:07 am

Yes, this last summer matter of fact. I bought a new bow , new single pin pendulum sight, and all the other cool stuff. I zeroed the bow perfectly and I can crush targets at 50 yards so far. I was having alot of problems with keeping a tight shot group 20 yards and less. I was shooting all over around center mass. No problem at 30 to 40 yards, I can shoot perfect at longer distances. So I checked the range distance time after time, and readjusted my sights and it got worse. So it wasn't the real expensive sights I am using. After shooting almost everyday I finally figured out that fraction of second upon trigger pull on the release I flinch so slightly, which sends my arrow off course and not hitting where I laid the bead on. At close range I have a big problem with that slight flinch. I dont know if I get all excited and too cocky. I been working on it for the last few weeks too wean myself off that flinch, and I been doing alot better. I dont know if its a panic thing, but its real frustrating. Good luck.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:24 am

I finger shoot so never had that problem....but I even after all this time have to really concentrate on not gripping the bow when excited about a target...I missed a nice buck by an inch or so last year because of it...Should have been a chip shot but didn't float the bow between the thumb and index and that grip torqued the shot left in front of the buck and not JUST behind the shoulder...
I try to repeat this to my self as I'm drawing....don't grip...breath ...only shot[;)]

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:28 am

I went to the bowhunting school of hard knocks and did not have good instruction along the way. My first compound was too long a draw length for me which caused me to creep forward before I released the arrow. It wasn't until I got a bow with the proper draw length that I was able to gain consistency in shooing.

Even though I've never shot with a release I would tend to get a wobble on 20-25 yard targets that caused me to have more open groups than I should have had. By starting above the target and settling down to where I wanted to hit before I let the arrow fly, helped me settle that wobble down.

I used to shoot 75 arrows before & after work every day except when it was raining and I tagged out with a bow the few years I was doing that. It made the shots more automatic.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:50 pm

I also started with a bow with the draw length too long and did alot of creeping. It seems to have carried over to this one. It was suggested that I practice shooting with my sight off so I don't focus on the pins so much but more on my form and release.

Another general suggestion was that I should be shooting at a spot the size of a quarter rather than a pie plate. It would increase my accuracy and tighten my groups.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

trapperDave

Postby trapperDave » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:16 am

everyone should practice no fire drills. draw aim then let down, repeatedly. great cure for TP and flinching. for some its near impossible to draw and not shoot.
"Democracy is a lamb and two wolves voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Ben Franklin

Proline

Postby Proline » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:27 am

Truth be told, there are very people out there that do suffer from target panic at some point or another. Good news is that it is cureable.  Like the guy above mentioned, drawing aiming and letting down does help.  Another great thing is "blind bale shooting".  I don't have time to write about the process now but if you go to www.archerytalk.com and go into the section called "Coaches Corner" you can search for a write up on it. Alot of great ideas on this site.

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:00 am

ORIGINAL: trapperDave

everyone should practice no fire drills. draw aim then let down, repeatedly. great cure for TP and flinching. for some its near impossible to draw and not shoot.

Yeah, I been doin that and all I want to do is hit my trigger soooo.. I took my trigger off... :-)

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting