pop-up blinds?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
cull

pop-up blinds?

Postby cull » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:46 pm

Anyone in the New England region use a pop-up blind for bow hunting? Just wonder what brands might work best? Before I commit any money to one I'd like to hear the pro's and con's on these types of blinds. Thanks

ghost hunter

RE: pop-up blinds?

Postby ghost hunter » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:21 pm

i have used both hub and pop up. i prefer hub both for lower noise in wind and room. if you use a hub tie the hub pulls to somthing

as a strong wing will blow in the side. i will be trying a yukon popup but haven't yet. hunt in dec 9 & 7 ny

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:06 am

I'm not in New England, I live in Indiana. I just bought a Primos Escape Deluxe and used it during ML season. It is a 5 hub blind. It felt like I was sitting in a one car garage the first day out. I was worried about wind as we have a lot of open country around us with nothing to block it out. I tied down all 4 side hubs with stakes and then ran a rope from the NW corner and tied it off to a tree. It was up for 16 days and we had wet snow and winds up to 30 mph during that time. The biggest problem I had was getting it back out after season as we had about 2 weeks of mid teen temps and the stakes froze in really tight. I actually had to dig my shooting stick out with a pick axe. I can't wait to use this blind for bowhunting next year. I've got 4 other pop-up style blinds and this one just made them all obsolete. If your ground is frozen already you may have a difficult time getting your stakes in. I would forget the stakes that come with any blind and go buy some tent stakes at Wal Mart. Put them in with a mallet.

bxhunter

Postby bxhunter » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:11 am

I hunt the southern region of NY, This was the first year I used a pop-up ground blind, I set it up, sat back and waited. The first deer was harvested on Dec 8th, a 4 Pointer shot him at a distance of 21 yards, on Dec 20th shot a Doe at a distance of 35 yards. I always hunted from tree stands, after this years experience I'll be hunting with ground blinds a whole lot more. Hint: the more natural covering you have behind your ground blind the more natural it will look. Good Luck!

krawiech

Postby krawiech » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:42 am

i used a pop up blind on a hunt in nc this past november what an expierence it was i own a popup but never used it i will from now on im disabled and hunt from a wheelchair the outfitter opened the blind and then set it around me it kept me out of the weather the bugs out and i shot a deer through the open window without breaking my eardrums i wear hearing aids also great invention hank k

MG11

Postby MG11 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:56 pm

I live in the midwest and use ground blinds often when bow hunting. A hub style blind will give you more room to shoot but you will pay more for one. A pop up style blind is smaller and more affordable. Be aware that if you leave your blind outdoors for an extended period of time it will fade (mine became a rusty red color) and tear easily.
A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there. -Fred Bear

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:21 pm

I am onlt 5'8" and a DogHouse blind is too restrictive to shoot out of whereas the Hub Blind is plenty roomy . And yes , get the tent stakes from walmart ( foot long spikes with a plastic tab) .
Semper Fi !

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:17 pm

I like the concept of hunting from blinds, but have had them blow away on me even after staking them down.  I have killed deer from them though.  If you can secure them down, they are ideal especially for newer or elderly hunters or folks afraid of heights.

I may try to use natural ground blinds from now on.  Pop up blinds have been a hassle recently for me.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Return to Archery and Bowhunting