stickbow suggestions?

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Deebz

stickbow suggestions?

Postby Deebz » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:26 pm

So i've been thinking about getting a stickbow... either longbow or recurve... and I just wondered if anybody had any suggestions as to a brand or specific bow that would be a good place for a guy to start with... I don't know that I'd ever want to hunt with it (which may change if i find one i liked), and I wouldn't want to spend too much money.

what do you guys think?

MSHunter

RE: stickbow suggestions?

Postby MSHunter » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:55 pm

I too want to purchase a stick bow this year. Right now I'm leaning toward a reflex/deflex bamboo backed hickory bow. This is just my personal preference from the research I've done so far. As far as a brand, I'm looking at a bow from Rudder Bows Archery (www.rudderbows.com). I purchased my son a long bow from there last year. I had and still have a lot of questions about traditional archery and the owner has been extremely helpful.
"This is the world we are born into -- we should never let that slip away from us. May it never cease to stimulate, inspire and humble us." from Stalking & Still-Hunting: The Ground Hunter's Bible by G. Fred Asbell

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:51 am

krawiech

Postby krawiech » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:00 am

istarted bow hunting with a longbow in 1958 in 1966 i went to a recurve and around 1972 i bought my first compound approximately 6 years ago i was forced to either give up bow hunting or purchase a crossbow due to health conditions when i first got a crossbow you had to get a permit to use it handicapped i recieved my permit first try now crossbows are legal impliments for anyone i was pretty good with my longbow i used to use it hunting rabbits i learned to hunt shooting that bow now that im shooting a crossbow i would never go back but i do remember the good times and friends i had the only problem i have now is the way some bowhunters are criticising the use of crossbows its the same thing they said when recurves came out then compound boys boy did people argue about them we as hunters have got to ask ourseleves why are we fighting amongst ourselves we need to get together before we loose this great sport to the antis you better believe that they are trying to stop our hunting i just bought a crossbow for my grandson to keep on the tradition my son shoots a pse compound id better not hear a person condemn my grandson for shooting a crossbow lets keep archery hunting going anot have petty differences hank k

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:40 am

ORIGINAL: krawiech

istarted bow hunting with a longbow in 1958 in 1966 i went to a recurve and around 1972 i bought my first compound approximately 6 years ago i was forced to either give up bow hunting or purchase a crossbow due to health conditions when i first got a crossbow you had to get a permit to use it handicapped i recieved my permit first try now crossbows are legal impliments for anyone i was pretty good with my longbow i used to use it hunting rabbits i learned to hunt shooting that bow now that im shooting a crossbow i would never go back but i do remember the good times and friends i had the only problem i have now is the way some bowhunters are criticising the use of crossbows its the same thing they said when recurves came out then compound boys boy did people argue about them we as hunters have got to ask ourseleves why are we fighting amongst ourselves we need to get together before we loose this great sport to the antis you better believe that they are trying to stop our hunting i just bought a crossbow for my grandson to keep on the tradition my son shoots a pse compound id better not hear a person condemn my grandson for shooting a crossbow lets keep archery hunting going anot have petty differences hank k

Such as comparing a crossbow to a rifle:

Crossbow- Uses bent sticks to store energy and propel its projectile to around 200 mph
Rifle- Chemical reaction propels projectile to supersonic speeds

Like comparing an internal combustion engine to a wind up toy

krawiech

Postby krawiech » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:11 am

so whats your statement ab out i dont understand what you are trying to say

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:34 am

Deebz....back to your ?....I can't say I have a lot of experience with traditional archery...that being said ...I started out on a 50 yr old Bear Kodiak recurve...I borrowed from my dad in-law...shooting off the shelf ...no sights and tab release....it was a 45# bow and I loved it..I put a non stick camo covering on...took my first bow buck with it.

The point is...50 yrs old and it was still shooting fine...I did replace the string...but saved the original....I could pull and hold  for the shot fairly easily...so that's a Bear product

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:06 pm

Thanks for the input guys. 

Highlander:  Cool website! Those are some of the best prices I've seen for bows.  Any idea on the quality of the lower priced bows? Have you ever bought anything from them?

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:26 pm

ORIGINAL: Deebz

Thanks for the input guys. 

Highlander:  Cool website! Those are some of the best prices I've seen for bows.  Any idea on the quality of the lower priced bows? Have you ever bought anything from them?

Not experienced with those particular bows yet, but have dealt with and worked events with the owner. Stand up guy and does the right thing. If I were going to trust anybody it would be him.

Highlander Archery

Postby Highlander Archery » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:28 pm

ORIGINAL: krawiech

so whats your statement ab out i dont understand what you are trying to say

Bringing up one of the arguments anti crossbow folks used and my counter argument.

Next

Return to Archery and Bowhunting