Arrow Penetration Question

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
easports

RE: Arrow Penetration Question

Postby easports » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:27 am

I switched over to rage a couple years ago and these broadheads are deadly. I took my second deer of the season with my bow last Saturday from 28 yards. My shot was farther back than I wanted but the arrow did a complete pass through taking the deer down within 40 yards. The other positive is the blood trail. You may want to try these two blade broadheads.

bowboxer

Postby bowboxer » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:50 pm

i to use rage two blade, i have the bow set on 60lbs 27 inch draw, shooting at 230 fps. i have shoot a doe at 60 yards in the heart. she went 50 yards and down. this is my two cents rage rule in the broadhead world.i have never had a pass threw. i have shoot a deer from 20 yards to 60 and know pass threw.but i have aways had about 19 inches of arrow in the deer.

easports

Postby easports » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:12 am

I’m not sure what to say about the arrows not making a full pass through. I’ve only been bow hunting for approx. 4 years and I shoot a Matthews with a 28 inch draw and the lbs is set between 68 to 70. My longest shot at a deer has been 30 yards. Nevertheless, if you’re getting 19 inches of penetration in to an animal with your arrow….that’s one dead animal, pass through or not.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:52 am

MG11, you never did say at what distance the shot was. And broadside or quartering? If broadside, at a reasonable distance, liver area should have been an easy pass thru, or at the very least, some kind of exit wound. The Rage should have done just that. You stated you think you hit the liver. Did you look at it to see any damage to it. I always try to see what damage was done and to what. It's kind of like evaluating your broadhead. You might want to start doing that, it's helpful to know. Hitting the liver can be a quick kill with in 50 yds., or 150-200, or as much as 300-400yds. The liver has some large arteries in it. If one of those are cut it's as good as a heart shot, and going 30-60yds. If the outer lobe of the liver is cut, it's a slow bleed. It could take an hour or so. With this slow bleed hit, the reaction is kind of like a gut shot, they will want to lie down, if not pushed. If it was quartering away, and you hit liver, I would think you should have had more than 10" of penitration. I'd be curious to know why only 10" of penitration. Then there is always the "wired or relaxed" factor as to how far a arrow shot deer will travel.

The longest shot I ever made was a 33yd double lung, pass through that went some 80yds., with 58lb. setting, with a very sharp fixed blade that I self sharpen. Thats why I question only 10".
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:12 am

X2 what charlie said!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

MG11

Postby MG11 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:26 pm

The shot was 31 yards and slightly quartering away.
A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there. -Fred Bear

bludyarrows

Postby bludyarrows » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:16 pm

I also shoot the 2 blade rage. I believe that shot placement means everything when hunting with a bow. I shoot a draw wieght of 60lbs and most always get a pass through.I also shoot "easton epic" arrows. they are the heaviest ones that my bow likes.I would also NOT take a long shot with this set up. I have got most of my deer inside of 30 yrds with no problem and have seen most of them go down usally within 75 yrds.I personally love the 2 blade rage...but also believe with any broad head ...shot placement is very...very important..
I head to the woods in sunshine or rain.the snow and sleet is all part of the game.I climb to my seat some 20 feet high.I lie here in ambush till the moment is right.I send the arrow flying with one thought in mind. I am a bowhunter and Victory is mine.

wisbowmadness

Postby wisbowmadness » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:34 pm

i shoot rage 3 blade broadheads and have had great luck with them. with that said i dont think it matters what you use as long as it is sharp and you only take ethical shots and have good arrow placement you should have good luck with short blood trails. everybody has bad experiences but sounds like you found your deer with a semi short trail so it was enough penitration to get the job done
-its not a passion...its an obsession-

easports

Postby easports » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:28 am

wisbowmadness:

Have you ever shot the two blade rage broadhead? I was curious if they shoot the same as the three blade and the difference with taking a deer.

Previous

Return to Archery and Bowhunting